New to Trackball: Increasing Speed and Precision

nrschmid

I started using a Trackball with AutoCAD. Yes, after 10 years I am late to the game. I am using an old Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman. I switched over because I was developing finger strain in my ring finger from my last programmable mouse (Microsoft 5000). I have large hands with longer fingers so I need a full size mouse. The Trackman does the job.

Are there any types of exercises that I can do to increase my speed and precision using a trackball in my free time? What types of mouse settings do any of you use? Do you prefer not to program a trackball, or do you use a third-party software, Mouse Settings in the Control Panel, or the Mouse Settings in AutoCAD's Main CUI?

Finally, I recently purchased an Evoluent Vertical Mouse? What are the pros and cons compared to a trackball and a regular programmable mouse?

Thanks!

IMHO, the configuration and setting up of a mouse is very subjective, especially if you are dealing with any sort of RMS. I have a vertical mouse at work and a trackball at home. Having the two kinds has kept the pain relatively low, even if I have a long intense session on AutoCAD.

I'm fairly certain that the only way to get better with either is to use them for what you use them for, IYKWIM.

I have my vertical mouse set up so that the MMB is double click and the thumb button is back. The others are standard mouse configuration.