Layer Manager Issue

Draft1tx

When working with Mechanical 2012 at work, in some of the drawings that I open, if I go to Layer Control, the layers in the drop down are in a random order, rather than alphanumeric. How can I rectify this? Or could I have I done something to cause this to happen. If so, how do I avoid doing it again.

At the command line type MAXSORT and change the number to 5000, or larger than the number of layers in that drawing.

Also, you can use Express Tools, System Variables, find maxsort, etc. This can also be opened from the command line with SYSVDLG

Assuming maxsort was not the issue, which it apparently was, you can also simply re-sort by clicking the column header you want sorted by just like in a Windows folder file list, or email. Click more than once and it toggles ascending/descending.

I only mention this, because you did not say whether you tried it, nor what your experience level is. The layers may seem to be in random order because someone sorted that drawing by a column other than name, for instance color name/number or line type. I sometimes keep mine by color if there is only a page or less of layers. Colors are quicker to pick than reading names, but it only works well if there are no, or few duplicate colors.

After 20 years of having a computer in the house, my wife discovered this option in email by accident just yesterday. "Oh my, the email is all out of whack:cry:and I don't know why." She had inadvertently sorted the inbox by subject, the one that is the least obvious when just looking at it. I had to blink at it once or twice to see what was wrong myself.