HELP: File Tabs disappear when switching workspace.

Using Autocad 2014.

I have saved 2 different workspaces. The file tabs were open when it is saved

But whenever i switch to a different workspace, the file tabs will disappear.

How to prevent this?

Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vernonlee

• Dadgad

• tombu

• Tiger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Check in your WORKSPACES SETTINGS, I think you want to have AUTOMATICALLY SAVE WORKSPACE CHANGES when switching workspaces selected,

as shown in the screenshot.

automatically save workspace changes.JPG

Check in your WORKSPACES SETTINGS, I think you want to have AUTOMATICALLY SAVE WORKSPACE CHANGES when switching workspaces selected,

as shown in the screenshot.

I changed to auto save but that did not help. The file tabs still disappear.

QUOTE=vernonlee;631512]I changed to auto save but that did not help. The file tabs still disappear.

That will only work when switching workspaces, if you exit AutoCAD while in a workspace changes will not be saved.

Which tabs are disappearing?

Have you customized the DISPLAY of TABS?

I don't see why it should matter, and I don't usually use the ribbon, but I went throught the list and switched off ones I wouldn't need, then SAVED and LOCKED ALL.

I have gone back and forth between a bunch of different workspaces, and it remembers the tab status in this one. Maybe the screenshot from the Selection tab in options might explain it.

ribbon contextual tab.JPG

QUOTE=vernonlee;631512]I changed to auto save but that did not help. The file tabs still disappear.

That will only work when switching workspaces, if you exit AutoCAD while in a workspace changes will not be saved.

Which tabs are disappearing?

The file tabs show the drawings that are currently open. Hope you get what I mean.

Have you customized the DISPLAY of TABS?

I don't see why it should matter, and I don't usually use the ribbon, but I went throught the list and switched off ones I wouldn't need, then SAVED and LOCKED ALL.

I have gone back and forth between a bunch of different workspaces, and it remembers the tab status in this one. Maybe the screenshot from the Selection tab in options might explain it.

To clarify, it is not ribbon tab & I also do not use ribbons only icons.

The file tabs that are disappearing when I switch workspaces, show the drawings that are currently opening. So each open file had a tab.

I think base on my description all should know what i am referring to.

You can turn the file tabs bar on or off using the File Tabs control on the View ribbon tab. Isn't controlled by workspace in 2014 or 2015 on my PC, are you current with service packs? Do they disappear when opening AutoCAD as well? If so you may have a reactor set up by someone to turn them off. Check with others in your office.

perhaps a long shot, but when you switch Workspace, do you see the command FILETABCLOSE on the commandline?

You can turn the file tabs bar on or off using the File Tabs control on the View ribbon tab. Isn't controlled by workspace in 2014 or 2015 on my PC, are you current with service packs? Do they disappear when opening AutoCAD as well? If so you may have a reactor set up by someone to turn them off. Check with others in your office.

I am not sure about the service packs. It is the office PC.

When i reopen autocad it will always comes back on. Only when i switch workspace then it will disappear.

perhaps a long shot, but when you switch Workspace, do you see the command FILETABCLOSE on the commandline?

I will see this when back in office 2 days later.

Errrr..... What do you mean?

Meaning, :) sorry I misunderstood which TABS you were referencing, as they don't exist in Autocad 2013, and so lead the thread on a wild goose chase, in an erroneous and fruitless direction. :beer:

In 2013 one can Quick View Drawings from the status bar, pre filetabs functionality.

Which you probably already knew.

Edited by Dadgad

We're using the 2015 version, but I've never used file tabs. Seemed like a waste of screen space to me. I copied the "Switch Windows" Ribbon Control Element from the View tab to our Quick Access Toolbar. Even 30 drawings open (would probably blow up my PC if it ever really happened) I could easily switch to whichever drawing I want at any time. You might want to try it.

We're using the 2015 version, but I've never used file tabs. Seemed like a waste of screen space to me. I copied the "Switch Windows" Ribbon Control Element from the View tab to our Quick Access Toolbar. Even 30 drawings open (would probably blow up my PC if it ever really happened) I could easily switch to whichever drawing I want at any time. You might want to try it.

Where can i find this "Switch Windows" Ribbon Control Element"?

I can only see view - windows from:-

RIBBON\TABS\VIEW -2D\VIEW - WINDOWS

But any way the view - windows cannot be inserted to the Quick Access Toolbar.

I only use the file tabs as it seems the easiest to switch between files (I occasional may open 30 files). If there is a better & efficient way, i would like to try.

For reference, i do find clicking "windows" at the menu bar to switch drawings troublesome.

Look for it in Panels, not TABS.

If you find it COPY, then click on the QUICK ACCESS TOOLBAR name onto which you want to PASTE it.

switch windows panel.JPG

quick access toolbar switch windows.JPG

quick access with panel added.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

Look for it in Panels, not TABS.

If you find it COPY, then click on the QUICK ACCESS TOOLBAR name onto which you want to PASTE it.

THANKS MAN!

The picture was very helpful. Mine do not have VIEW INTERFACE but found it in VIEW WINDOWS

There isn't

This is all i see

Command:
Command: _wscurrent
Enter new value for WSCURRENT <"workspace_1">: vernonworkspace_door

Command:
WSCURRENT

Enter new value for WSCURRENT <"workspace_2">: *Cancel*