draw order control (DRAWORDERCTL) question/issue

So to start, I am using Autocad Architecture 2012. I have DRAWORDERCTL set to 3. i have a background JPG that I am using to trace over and I have the DRAWORDER set to 'Back' which is what I want

however, the issue is, whenever I lock or unlock a layer, the attached JPG jumps to the front. Is there something wrong with how i set my DRAWORDERCTL?

Thoughts on how to solve this issue and keep it in the back!

I've always had similar issues with DRAWORDER AND JPGs. I've been able to get around it by using the background transparency for the JPG. It is not available for all formats, so I'm not sure if that will help you at all. What it does is make the paper background color transparent so that you can see linework "through" the image.

What happens if you change the elevation of the jpg, so that it is actullay below or behind your current UCS?

I'm not sure... Try these attempts to avoid this issue try to :

Put the image on a locked layer, or

Make a block with this image and lock the layer of the block, or

Turn off the boundary of this image.

Maybe the last one should be working.

What happens if you change the elevation of the jpg, so that it is actullay below or behind your current UCS?

I'm fairly certain the issue persists.