Uniting pieces of a polyline

Amanovik

Dear all,

I'm a newcomer I already read the forums a few times and found answers all the time, but sadly its not that time.

My problem is te following:

I got a 61MB big drawing which i should modify. Sadly my computer isn't fast enough to handle that much information. I attached an example which shows why the file is this big. (Sadly i'm not able to upload this in dwg, because the example file which i made also takes 5MB of free space... :glare:) There you can see that loops are made from much-much more lines than needed. If i could unite lines which has the same X or Y coordinates that would come out in a smaller file size and lesser CPU capacity.

Do we have any command which does something like this? Do you have any other idea how to correct this kind of thing? Any help is appriciated.

Thanks in advance!

The picture about the problem:

Uniting lines.jpg

WBlock out one of the "loops" and attach the DWG file to your next post. My initial response would be to ask why a block wasn't used to represent each loop?

I cut down some part of the loop, so the file size is now below 1mb.

Replying to your idea: We don't use to make these loops into a block, but instead into a polyline. Therefore it would be the best for me if i could make polylines from these separate lines, but with fewer component. (This way we can see the loops length which is the question most of the times.)

Original_loops.dwg

Three problems right off the bat.

First. Your "loop" has 26513 objects. Question: Why did you use 26513 line segments for an object that measures 11.7307x14.9729 millimeters?

Second. Your "loop" has almost 12000 overlapping objects or segments.

Third. Your line segments are quite small. Example 0.0042, 0.0021, 0.002, etc.

To begin solving the problem you would first have to rid the loop of the overlapping objects via the OVERKILL command. Then I would try replacing all the multiple small line segments between arcs with a single polyline. Next I would fillet the corners to rid yourself of all the line segments used to define your arcs. Finally, join all the straight lines and arcs as a single polyline.

Suggestion: If you are going to continue working with 60+MB drawing files then you might want to bump up your RAM and install a dedicated graphics card. Right now you are basically lacking the resources to push around a drawing of this size.

Edited by ReMark

Goingloopy1.jpg

Here we go loop de loo all on a Saturday night.:lol:

A single loop saved as a block takes up 50KB. Length of the single polyline loop on the far right is 197.5557.

FYI - You can create a single polyline entity from all your line segments but it may take a couple of steps including PEdit > Multiple > Join then a second PEdit > Join. The resultant loop when saved out as a block takes up 252KB or about five times what mine was. In a drawing with just a handful of these it might not make much difference but it would add up quickly if you had hundreds of loops. Generally speaking you want to keep your drawing file size as lean as possible. No sense carrying around all that extra weight right? Just make sure if you do use a 252KB loop you don't explode it as you'll quickly expand the number of objects in your drawing by almost 15000.

Edited by ReMark

Thanks for the advice, i'll try it tomorrow and after i've done i'll post the results.

Btw. it wasn't me who drew this kind of loop, i would never do something like this...Saying to clarify myself, i don't want to seem that bad. :)

Hmmm...I can't go through your process because my pc here have Autocad 2010 LT and it doesn't know the OVERKILL command. So i'll be back in a few days if i can try it on another version of autocad. Anyway, what you have posted looks fine to me and that was what i wanted to do when i started but that time didn't know how to start.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again!

I finally found a PC where i could try out your method and it worked well! The only problem was that i had to do the fillets one-by-one. If i would try to correct the whole drawing like this it would take me too much time, which i cant afford at the moment. (I have about 100-200 loops, which would mean a few thousand fillet commands) So after all, we just contacted the guy who made this, and asked him to correct things by himself.

After all thanks for your help, i learned something new about autocad again.