Array while polar stretching

montini

Hello,

could anyone help me debug the problem? I've made a terminal block and I want to be able to rotate it and stretch it so it changes the amount of pins. Stretching seems to be in order, but not when you rotate the block - then the array items get out of place. What am I missing?

Terminal_2.54.dwg

Pretty simple. Solution attached. don't save it as your original version until you are happy it is working

The polar array and polar stretch have to have the same point to rotate about. I moved the array distance2 left node to the same place as the left node of distance1. It works fine now. The space between the points caused the array to try and orbit around the rotation center point of the polar stretch. The array distance starting where it was, was also too short on the left to actually array all of the elements. The lines at the top were falling short at the right end of the array by one element when the block was rotated.

I don't see the point of the Move action for the entire contents of the block. Do you need to keep the insertion point at the same place after moving the block? That is all a Move action really does. It also leaves the polar stretch/array grip behind when moving the block. Move actions are designed to move a portion of the block around relative to the rest of it. That is why all the other grips and the insertion point stay put.

I normally just click'n'drag by the insertion point grip, to move a block, and everything comes with it.

Terminal_2.54(mod).dwg

I don't see the point of the Move action for the entire contents of the block. Do you need to keep the insertion point at the same place after moving the block? That is all a Move action really does. It also leaves the polar stretch/array grip behind when moving the block.

The point serves as a grip to position the terminal block directly into a hole on PCB board. Here, I've perfected the block in case someone will find it useful as well.

Terminal_2.54(mod).dwg

The point serves as a grip to position the terminal block directly into a hole on PCB board. Here, I've perfected the block in case someone will find it useful as well.
OK, I understand now. Yes, it works quite well now. The other grips move along with the block. You can use an insertion (base point) parameter for that too, but it may not fit all circumstances. I don't do any of those electric thingies, so I dunno.

Nice block. I had just a while ago done a dynamic array/stretch block very similar to that one for ICF forms, (Insulated Concrete Forms). It doesn't rotate but it stretches from either end.

Glad you got it sorted.