Incrementing through s LIST

Andrew1979

I have spent the last day working some things out with lists and blocks and have made a lot of progress.

The problem I can't seem to work out is how to increment through a LIST of text strings. I sort of thought I had it working using Nth command, but that doesn't seem to be working as I get an error at the end of my program as I think the program hasn't realised its finished.

What my program does is update Block Attributes for a Title Block. That all works. It updates only a block for each paperspace selected.

What happens is the command CTAB cracks it when the list runs out. I am using a while loop that doesn't seem to work as anticipated.

Here is a snippet of the offending code:

[color=red]([/color][color=royalblue]while[/color][color=red] ([/color][color=royalblue]>[/color] ListNumber [color=seagreen]0[/color][color=red])[/color]

[color=red] ([/color][color=royalblue]setq[/color] nthretlist [color=red]([/color][color=royalblue]nth[/color] no retlist2[color=red]))[/color]

[color=red]([/color][color=royalblue]setavr[/color] [color=magenta]"CTAB"[/color] nthretlist[color=red])[/color] [color=gray];Error Happens Here After Running Through Loop[/color]

[color=red]([/color][color=royalblue]setq[/color] no [color=red]([color=royalblue]+[/color][/color] no [color=seagreen]1[/color][color=red]))[/color]
   [color=red]([/color][color=royalblue]setq [/color]ListNumber [color=red]([/color]- ListNumber 1[color=red]))[/color]

THis is the error:

; error: AutoCAD variable setting rejected: "CTAB" nil

Never mind. After hours of mucking about, I added the following IF loop so the code now looks like this:

EDIT: Ok, now the Error is appearing again.....any thoughts?

(while (> ListNumber 0)

(setq nthretlist (nth no retlist2))

[color=green]    (if (= nthretlist nil)
     (princ "Done");(exit)
     )[/color]

(setvar "CTAB" nthretlist)

(setq no (+ no 1))
   (setq ListNumber (- ListNumber 1))

Edited by Andrew1979

Andrew,

Post the list(s) you are using.

Seems to me a foreach loop would be better than a while loop

for your case.

The exit with an if is a bad idea.

ymg

Agree with Tombu if playing with layouts use the for layoutlist, be carefull with lists (length list) returns the number of items but the first is 0 as it appears you are aware so last is -1 length

(setq x (length list))
(repeat (length list)
(setq val (nth (setq x (- x 1)) list) ; this way hit 0
)