Exporting selected layouts (not all) into several multi-page PDFs

gchristen

Dear all,

First post on the forum!

In AutoCAD LT 2012, I have several layouts (lets call them A1 to A12 and B1 to B12, so 24 layout pages in total (in one dwg file).

I wish to export to PDF, but in a way that I receive the following 12 x 2-page PDF documents:

Document 1: Layout A1 and B1

Document 2: Layout A2 and B2

etc.

In essence, I want to merge certain files together in the easiest way possible (ideally hit "export" once and - bang - have 12 separate PDF files each with two pages).

An alternative would be to export 24 separate single page PDF files and bind manually in Adobe but this would take ages if frequent model updates are required.

Any ideas?

Best,

Glen

I'm not sure if that can be done.

Using publisher, you could set-up 6 sheet lists to output the two page PDFs. That way, if there were frequent updates you could access those saved lists and bang out the six PDFs.

First post on the forum!

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

In AutoCAD LT 2012, I have several layouts (lets call them A1 to A12 and B1 to B12, so 24 layout pages in total (in one dwg file).

I wish to export to PDF, but in a way that I receive the following 12 x 2-page PDF documents:

Document 1: Layout A1 and B1

Document 2: Layout A2 and B2

etc.

In essence, I want to merge certain files together in the easiest way possible (ideally hit "export" once and - bang - have 12 separate PDF files each with two pages).

Another alternative that frequently gets overlooked, is the Autopublish mechanism, which (when enabled) produces a PDF for each Layout (and/or Model) when you SAVE, or CLOSE the drawing.

So, as an example, you just do your work in CAD, hit SAVE, and depending on your output configuration, simply grab the individual Layout PDFs you want (if you chose Single-Sheet PDF), or can extract the PDF pages you want (if you chose Multi-Sheet PDF).

The Autopublish mechanism can easily be disabled when not wanted, as well.

I'm a fan of Autopublish because it produces a PDF in a fraction of the time, as compared to using standard dialog, or command line versions of PUBLISH, and PLOT Commands, YMMV.

An alternative would be to export 24 separate single page PDF files and bind manually in Adobe but this would take ages if frequent model updates are required.

This is _exactly_ the workflow I use Autopublish for... A PDF is created when I SAVE a drawing, so there's always a 'current' set of plans ready before I need them, and I simply combine the sheets I need for a given request, sendout, submittal, etc.

[Edit] - You may find this post useful, if you choose to consider the Autopublish mechanism:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?92394-Exporting-to-PDF-for-beginner-!&p=632138&viewfull=1#post632138

Cheers

I'm not sure if that can be done.

The only other alternative I can think of, would do exactly what the OP wants, but requires code... But you already knew that. o:) :P

Cheers

The problem is not in picking pages to plot see my "plot range" but rather you have to have the correct PDF software that will allow a autojoin of pages, a "Nesting" function do multiple plots and stop for a time gap then join together. This has been discussed numerous times and Publish seemed the only way to do it.