rotate hidden lines about axis into section view

n8huntsman

In autocad, when creating a section through a round part, a lot of times people will show features that are not cut by your section, as hidden lines, rotated about your center so that it would appear at the correct diameter of the part. In Inventor when you turn hidden lines on, it projects the features across, perpendicular to your section line. Anyone found a way around this? Im on Inventor 2012 so there may be something in a new version that I am unaware of?

Here's an example of each method. I prefer the acad. Obviously this is an overly simplified example; I would have just sectioned the blind hole in the bottom half of my section but I hope you get the point.

Thanks

INVENTOR.jpg

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

I am not an Inventor user, but I am trying to figure out why you might prefer the Autocad way, which as shown is clearly inaccurate.

Wouldn't you be better off using a jogged section?

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

I am not an Inventor user, but I am trying to figure out why you might prefer the Autocad way, which as shown is clearly inaccurate.

Wouldn't you be better off using a jogged section?

In this case yes. However in some complicated assembly section views, it's not feasible. I agree that it is inaccurate, but there are some in my company that think the acad method is a more accurate representation because you can see the true diameter of the blind hole rather than some projected view of it. They also have an issue with some holes that end up getting sectioned not through the center which makes their diameters look small. I tried saying it's just the way it is when you have a true section, instead of a cartoon, but I'm getting the "things were better before all this technology" push-back.

Aside from the issue of having an incorrectly drawn section jog resulting in a seemingly erroneous hole diameter, they are wrong.

Of what value is a hole of an appropriate diameter, when placed in an inappropriate location? :huh:

Of course things were better, as brilliantly evidenced by any Norman Rockwell painting. :|

There will always be those who claim to favor the old way.

Buy them drafting boards, take away their computers, and let's see how long it takes them to come around.

Edited by Dadgad

Of what value is a hole of an appropriate diameter, when placed in an inappropriate location? :huh:

...There will always be those who claim to favor the old way.

Buy them drafting boards, take away their computers, and let's see how long it takes them to come around.

Exact arguments I made! Glad to have some reassurance that I'm not out of line.

The only thing that I see, which is clearly out of line, is that hole in the Autocad tagged drawing. :|

Edited by Dadgad