Understanding the end result from the relationship between Blocks and Layers

mac111

I am a new bee learning Autocad 2d (version 2015).

I am very much confused about understanding the relationships between Block and layers in determining the properties will be inherited by objects (or Blcoks) after creating the blocks on particular layer (any OR other than 0) and keeping the properties of objects before creating block (such as By Layer OR By Block OR not by any of these two options).

Will someone have explain me in a tabular format, what we will be getting the end result depending upon every configuration?

Thanks in advance.

Mac.

I always teach students to create blocks by placing all their objects on layer 0 and the properties are set to bylayer. When the blocks are inserted on a layer, the objects takes on the properties of the layer they are placed on.

If you want your objects to have a specific property such as thin hidden line, you can override the properties.

If objects are on a layer other than 0, they take on the properties of the layer they were drawn on. This occurs because are on that layer. This is bad practice and can mess up a drawing. Now your blocks are tied to two layers, the layer the block was inserted on and the layer the objects are on. If you freeze either layer, the block will disappear.