In search of a way to use a sketch for two purposes

gotchy

I have made a sketch for a machine part and used the extrude boss to make a male punch. I now would like to use the same sketch to extrude cut it and make a female die. I have gone into the design tree and the extrude, exit sketch, and used edit at the top tool bar, however I do not get the option to cut or copy the sketch so that I can paste it into a new drawing. What am I doing wrong? I enclose a sketch for your view.

gotchy

Image00756.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Can you not use Ctrl C and Ctrl V to copy the sketch??

Another method could be to save the part you have created to a new file and just delete the extrude to maintain the initial sketch.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to use the same sketch in the same location you can. simply select the sketch then use the Extrude-Cut feature.

If your feature needs to be in a new location you can select the end face and use the "Derived Sketch" option which allows you to make a new sketch based on a face selection.

You can also create a Sketch Block from your sketch and insert into a new sketch(or save it externally and insert into a new part).

You also have features like "Indent" that allow you to use the cut option to remove material based on intersecting geometry and even use an offset value.

There are probably half a dozen other ways as well. Indent is the typical option because it allows you to select intersecting solid geometry and its not destructive(like Combine which actually deletes the body you are using for the cut).