Modify LINE command repeat action

Hi,

Is there a way to modify the LINE command so that it doesn't start a new line at the end of the previous one?

So, if I click at 4 spots, instead of making 3 lines, it would make 2 lines: one between clicks 1 and 2, and another between clicks 3 and 4.

When drawing many lines I would like to avoid two right clicks between every line.

Thanks

Have you tried the MULTIPLE command?

Simply enter MULTIPLE; when prompted, enter the LINE command and draw all the lines you want. The command will stay active until you hit Esc.

To me that's worse: 6 clicks to make two non-contiguous lines-- I'm looking for 4. I don't discriminate between left thumb, right, or left clicks.

So back to the original question; any way of changing the default action of the LINE command?

Thanks

To me that's worse: 6 clicks to make two non-contiguous lines-- I'm looking for 4. I don't discriminate between left thumb, right, or left clicks.

So back to the original question; any way of changing the default action of the LINE command?

Thanks

It seems like you will need to incorporate an escape into the end of the line command macro. :|

Have you tried the MULTIPLE command?

Simply enter MULTIPLE; when prompted, enter the LINE command and draw all the lines you want. The command will stay active until you hit Esc.

That is pretty cool, thanks, I never knew about this command. :beer:

Edited by Dadgad

• 2 weeks later...

I know I can use Up to iterate through previous commands. Running the last command simply involves Up + Enter. However, I was thinking of buying the Happy Hacking Keyboard as I spend a lot of time in vim.

This keyboard has no arrow keys, and the only way I know how to get this kind of behaviour is by pressing Ctrl + R and beginning to repeat my previous command.

Is there an easy way to emulate Up + Enter in an UNIX terminal without the arrow keys?

Right hand on mouse, thing on left hand called thumb bangs spacebar twice. Would beat MULTIPLE.

I laughed way too hard at this.

Maybe a macro

*^C^Cline;\\;

not including starting the macro, and finishing it (with escape) it's 2 clicks per line

I think the OP will count those as clicks.

IMHO, there is no real advantage to having this option as opposed to doing it the traditional way.

The OP has to start the line command at the moment anyway so it's a huge time saver of at least one click - thats 50% :lol:

The advantage of a macro depends on how the OP starts the line command, if using a toolpalette or menu item then the OP can have the choice of a normal line or a 2 click line repeat, having icons next too each other.

I suppose there could be a value to this, if one were drawing nothing but single lines for long periods of time. A vast majority of users do not do this. They have other tasks. Therefore the time saved is negligible. If the OP is drawing lines for most of the day with hardly a break from it, I'd be interested to hear about the type of work he does.