Required Custom Linetype

I am trying to customized linetype but there is no luck for this. I spend almost half day to create this linetype that the government is required us to follow their requirement. I attached the sample linetype i what to create. Temporarily i created a dynamic block which is fine for the straight walls only, the problem is we have a walls that is in arc shape. TIA

Fire rating.dwg

If you want the linetype to be portable easily, you should first of all try to use fonts that are available commonly.

You could make a shape for the linetype, but would then have to send the shape file along with the drawing file for others to see.

Perhaps the font Wingdings3 might have suitable characters.

What "government"? Contact them if it's a requirement they should be able to provide a sample drawing or specifics as to their shapes, linetypes, fonts and other standards. It may even be a recognized standard.

Hopefully, you now have an appropriate linetype.

If you are struggling and need a bit of help, it would be useful to know what units you are working in, and what spacing is needed for the linetype objects. The drawing that you posted appears to have decimal inch units, and the object spacing is at 736.6719 units.

You might find that using the Measure or Divide command with a block could give you what you want.

Hi Eldon, I tried to use fonts but it not work unfortunately. I tried also to make shape for the linetypes but when im selecting the fonts I cannot select them, only the line is selected.

Hi Tombu, we requested the government before to provide us cad file for their symbols (linetype), they are manually using lines and hatched symbols only not a linetype.

Hi ReMark, we don’t have cad file copy contains the original linetype. The government provide as only pdf copy.

Hi Eldon, how did you do that? That’s pretty cool. I tried the wingding3 characters but its not working I couldn’t select the fonts.

Thanks all guys.

they are manually using lines and hatched symbols only not a linetype.

The safe bet would be to do it the same way. Deviation from this may require rework later on in order to get the .dwgs accepted. I would find out if custom linetypes are even allowed before going this route.

If the government "requires" a custom linetype only they have why wouldn't they make it available to your company, upon request, since it would be in their best interest to do so. What if they had a dozen unique linetypes? Would you try recreating all of them from scratch? What's it going to hurt to pick up the phone and politely ask?

If you are responding to my post, ReMark, I was saying that the use of custom linetypes may NOT be allowed. Therefore, if they had not seen the .dwgs until the end of the project when the record files are submitted, they may require that the custom linetypes be reworked to the method described by the OP in post #7. Better to find out now, than after creating and using these linetypes.

Ah....no. I was asking the OP a question. I should have been clearer.

The government has made it a condition that a certain linetype is required therefore I feel it is incumbent upon the government agency for whom the work is being done to provide a copy of the linetype definition file.

rengised, as there have been such useful suggestions as to whether you should need to create your own linetype for an official drawing, I will not post the linetype I created yet.

The way I started was to first of all create a Textstyle which used Wingding3 as the font file. Then I opened the Character Map and found Wingding3. Then in AutoCAD I started Mtext, and then copied from the Character map to Mtext the shapes that looked good. Then by listing the text, I found out that the curly bracket characters gave likely shapes, and the rest follows from there.

I think that using solid characters adjacent to each other could give an optical illusion (pixel trouble) because in my picture, there appeared to be a space between the shapes, but on zooming right in, there is no space. :?

The more information you give the better we can answer your questions.

Hi Tombu, we requested the government before to provide us cad file for their symbols (linetype), they are manually using lines and hatched symbols only not a linetype.

Again, what government agency? It's doubtful that you're the first person to ever do a drawing for them.

Hi ReMark, we don’t have cad file copy contains the original linetype. The government provide as only pdf copy.

Can you attach that pdf or a link to it?

Hi Eldon, how did you do that? That’s pretty cool. I tried the wingding3 characters but its not working I couldn’t select the fonts.
Linetypes cannot reference a font only a text style. You need to create a Wingding3 text style that uses the wingding3 font first, then reference that in the linetype.