Dxf opening problems

Mads Refsgaard

I hope this i the right place for this post. I hvae gotten a Dxf and a pdf of the same file, but when I open the Dxf file the file do not look right as it does on the pdf, the one who sendt me these files, send me a screenshot of the opend dxf file on his computer, and there it look just fine. anyone know a solutin for this problem?

Thanks opfront

How do you mean not right, objects missing?

Is it drawn with a vertical of Autocad, Autocad Architecture or Civil 3D? IN that case you might need to install Object Enablers to view the drawing correctly.

Hatcehes are gone, and the lines, are not where they should be, I think it´s just Autocad, but I will look in to it

Nothing off the top of my head I'm afraid...

Is it possible for you to share the file with us? You can email me directly (dicksoncv (a)gmail.com) if you want and I can take a look.

So when you say that the person that made it showed it open on his screen - he was showing the file in Illustrator? Or the DXF in AutoCAD?

I have no idea how Illustrator handles the DXF-conversion, but it feels like a bit a stretch between Illustrator and AutoCAD so I am not so surprised that not everything comes over in the conversion.

It could be that objects are there and not visible, but that is hard to guess at without seeing the file. You can try checking if layers are Off/Frozen, of objects are Hidden, if you can select objects with Ctrl+A and/or Quick Select, then perhaps you can change their parameters and get them to show up.

I had mistake something, so sorry I don´t have seen the screenshot. the objects are there, but they are moved around, so they not are plaeced where they should be, and overlapping. illustrator have a export function that allow to convert to dfx. and dwg so in a perfect world it should work :)

unfortunately DXF is an exchange language which may have worked in the early days of CAD drawings isn't so great with newer objects. Also the implementation of the language by different companies has diversified over the years.

In other words, most of the time DXF is an acceptable way of transferring drawings between systems it might not always work well. You may have a bit of re-jigging to do to get an acceptable result.

You could also try, using a copy of your DXF file, to select everything on screen and change their colour to red (for example). It Could be the colour of some objects is the same as colour graphic screen background. It's a problem we sometimes had when opening DXF files from third party software.

If Illustrator has the ability to export to DWG format I think that would be far more preferable. Request a DWG file.