3D Hollow Section

DSR

AutoCAD 2013 Software:

I am trying to create a hollow section much like an octagonal pipe. I can create the 2D image of the "OD" and "ID", but I am having issues with creating the Solid or surfaces and then cutting, subtracting, or creating a shell.

What is the best process for performing this action?

Also, I am attempting to create a Solid plate that is not "flat", i.e. the surfaces are not level with the XYZ planes but actually tilted slightly. What is the best way to perform this Solid creation?

Re: tilted plane. Is this what you are referring to? While the bottom is flat the corner heights are all different thus giving the top plane a cross pitch.

attachment.php?attachmentid=54636&cid=1&stc=1

Uneven solid 1.jpg

The octagonal pipe you have attached is right on the money.

As far as the plates are concerned, here is the lowdown: I have survey data (X,Y,Z) for the exposed surface/corners. I am trying to take this data and create a surface/plate and then lower/attach the Octogon to the plates. With this I hope to show/visualize the shim thicknesses required and how these shims will need to be installed.

Does this help? What can I do to make this easier?

Like I said, attach a copy of the drawing you have thus far to your next post and someone will take a look at it. I've got to step away for a moment but I'll check back upon my return.

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

Use the POLYGON command to easily generate the octagon, follow the commandline prompts carefully.

OFFSET that polygon by the required thickness of the wall, in the appropriate direction, then use PRESSPULL to create the solid, follow the commandline prompts.

Watch this short video, and it will all become crystal clear.

http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/extrude-and-press-pull/

PDF's may be nice to look at but of no real use. A .DWG file on the other hand would be far more useful.

Just noticed that your image got duplicated too; so I am not the only one who is encountering the problem.

Edited by ReMark

If you make 2 3d objects you can use "subtract" to slice the bottom of the tube, using the same idea make a 3rd flat object and set it the highest point of the sloping plane subtract top and bottom from tube this will be shim.

Where is the sloped/pitched plate you mentioned in your first post?

Why wouldn't this structure (what is it supposed to be?) be placed atop a concrete slab that has a level top?

Why are there no baseplates at the bottom of the columns?

Do you understand the approach suggested to by BIGAL re: figuring out shim thickness?

Edited by ReMark

I know the basics of 3d enough to be dangerous. Hope this helps

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54658[/ATTACH]

BIGAL, that pretty well sums it up as stated. :beer: