Mask margin around a polyline

richard3009

I wish to draw a cable route across a cluttered site plan, is there a way to create a mask boundary margin around my polyline (cable route) to make it stand out, or any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks Richard :geek:

Put a Width on the Polyline? When you start the Polyline-command and have clicked the first point, choose the Width option on the commandline, and enter desired width. If the line ends up behind the other objects you can use Draw Order (select the line > right click> draw order) to get it to lay on top of everything else.

Thanks

I have used a polyline with global width of 50 which is ok, what im trying to achieve is a small margin of mask either side of that polyline

A MulitLine then perhaps? Command MLINE

You can create a Multiline Style with the command MLSTYLE so you have 3 lines, and it seems you can have a Fill-color as well.

In a nutshell yes, masking would be very effective, failing that its a ruddy thick polyline

There is a command called MASK (some information: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-architecture/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/AutoCAD-Architecture/files/GUID-E1222BB7-089C-494F-AC49-8FDD18A48B4C-htm.html ) that looks pretty advanced, I have no idea if it will do what you are after.

I assume you could use a WIPEOUT, but I would think it would be a bit of a hassle to create that.

You could offset the polyline, close the offseted lines and add a Hatch to the area to mask behind the polyline - but that is pretty much what you get with a MLine with a Fill, and much easier in my opinion.

You could also change the colour of everything else to a light grey to make your lines stand out - that is perhaps the most common solution I see with my clients.

To make the cable route stand out use a polyline and give it a width (nothing too wide). The site plan itself should be on a layer that is screened (set this in your plot style). Start with 50% screening and adjust (up or down) to suit your needs and the type of printer/plotter being used.

thanks peeps screening is the way to go me thinks was just experimenting really, but thanks for the input, I had forgot mline existed