Returning last user variable

Andrew1979

I want to display in the command prompt the last variable a user inputted.

I want it like the Offset command. In the offset command, it asks the user for a distance, and the next time the user runs the command offset remembers the last distance.

I am using getint.

I have this so far:

[color=red]([/color][color=royalblue]setq[/color]    MDF-WDE    [color=red]([/color][color=royalblue]getint[/color]  "\nEnter MDF thickness <[color=magenta]???[/color]> << "[color=red]))[/color]

The bit in the code where I have ??? is where I want to display the users last entry. How do I do this?

I have no idea how to write a variable inside the getint command, when I do put a variable in there, it fails to work.

some of the gurus advice me few months ago to explore INPUTHISTORYMODE sysvar. Maybe I will find a way to make it work , but nothing good. You can try , may be you will succeed

thanks, haven't heard of that command before....I thought you made it up until i tried it haha. Not sure if that is what I am looking for though. Can't seem to work out how the AutoCAD offset command works with showing the last offset in the command prompt text. I have tried multiple ways but can't work it out.

lots of variables can be read in your case offsetdist (getvar "offsetdist") same with circle circelrad & fillet filletrad another lastpoint.

(setq offdist (getvar "offsetdist"))
(setq MDF_WDE (getint (strcat "Enter thicknes <" (rtos offdist 2 0) ">")))
(if (= MDF_WDE nil) (setq MDF_WDE offdist))

thanks BIGAL, you are to the rescue again. I didn't know you could strcat inside a get function. Thanks

just for reference for others, here is the code I used:

[color=red]([/color][color=blue]initge[/color]t [color=seagreen]6[/color][color=red])
[color=black][color=red]([/color][color=royalblue]if [/color][color=red]([/color][color=royalblue]= [/color]offdist [color=royalblue]nil[/color][color=red])([/color][color=royalblue]setq [/color]offdist [color=seagreen]18[/color][color=red])[/color]
[color=red]  )  [/color][/color]

[/color] [color=red]([/color][color=blue]setq[/color] MDF-WDE [color=red]([/color][color=blue]getint[/color] [color=red]([/color][color=blue]strcat[/color] [color=magenta]"\nEnter MDF thickness <"[/color] [color=red]([/color][color=blue]rtos[/color] offdist [color=seagreen]2 0[/color][color=red])[/color][color=magenta] "mm> << "[/color][color=red])))[/color]
[color=red]([/color][color=blue]COND[/color] [color=red]([/color][color=blue][color=red]([/color]= [/color]MDF-WDE[color=blue] nil[/color][color=red])([/color][color=blue]setq[/color] offdist offdist[color=red])([/color][color=blue]setq[/color] MDF-WDE offdist[color=red]))[/color]
     [color=red](([/color][color=blue]/=[/color] MDF-WDE [color=blue]nil[/color][color=red])([/color][color=blue]setq[/color] offdist MDF-WDE[color=red])([/color][color=blue]setq[/color] MDF-WDE MDF-WDE[color=red]))[/color]
     [color=red])[/color]

This code returns the last value entered by a user and shows it in the command prompt. If the user then presses enter without typing anything, it will use the last number used.

Edited by Andrew1979

Code redone applying a variable as its existing value is not needed.

(initget 6)
(if (= offdist nil)(setq offdist 18)
 )  

(setq MDF-WDE (getint (strcat "\nEnter MDF thickness <" (rtos offdist 2 0) "mm> << ")))
(if (= MDF-WDE nil)(setq MDF-WDE offdist)(setq offdist MDF-WDE)) ; updates value of offdist for next time