Call out to Acad gurus

dan_m

I've been trying to get by head around blocks and what ByBlock and ByLayer settings mean when applied to the objects making up a block, things do get complicated rather quickly ( ie: layer 0 vs reg. layer, turning off vs freezing a layer etc...) so after a long exhaustive exercise I've compiled my understanding of it all in the following XL file, I would just need a confirmation by all you Acad experts that everything is correctly summarized.. thank(s) you!

BLOCKS ByBlock ByLayer EXPLAINED.xls

Generally I use byblock for all objects when creating blocks so an inserted block will take the properties of the layer it's placed on or moved to. Since the objects are byblock they take on any properties assigned to the block. If the block color was changed to Red all byblock objects in the block would be Red.

We use different properties to show preexisting conditions -vs- design. I can use the same blocks in both since the display properties clearly show if they are preexisting conditions or design.

Blocks can be confusing because every object inside the block can be set up differently and has the potential of being controlled by one, a couple, or all of the following, depending on the case:

- Layer Properties

- Block Reference

- Block Edit

that was the reason for compiling the summary I posted, I'd like to know if my logic and that of Acad's match closely heh =]

Your terminology is non-standard and therefore confusing. For instance, blocks are not dropped onto a layer. They are inserted on a layer or assigned to a layer after insertion. I lost interest before even trying to see if the information is good.

too bad you got stuck in semantics, perhaps I could have used better wording

When it comes to technical writing, terminology is very important. Using the correct terms gets the meaning across. In this case, the use of acronyms referring to words that are not AutoCAD terms is very hard to understand.

too bad you got stuck in semantics, perhaps I could have used better wording (?) thanks for input nonetheless... here's a link I found useful

http://www.cadsoft-consult.com/blogs/acad/2012/unraveling-the-mystery-of-blocks-layer-zero%E2%80%A6/

Neglected to mention before when creating blocks besides byblock I put all objects on layer 0. Never put anything else on layer 0! Nice link, now that you have it delete the mess you posted before. Confusing at best.

What kind of **** asks for help then complains about the guys grammar? after taking his time to write out in plain English, creating a pdf and uploading just for you, what you could not grasp in the correct grammar in the help files? than you tell him you should have written it like the help files

Edited by f700es
crude language

He claimed to have it correct and asked for verification. It was hard to verify without proper terminology. Sorry if I offended you, but this is a technical forum and I'm sure others agree with what I said.

I reported this post as a RUDE post, as soon as I saw it, quite sorry to see that it was not moderated.

pattyandme, Rob is the one trying to help the OP.

Are you under the misguided assumption that Rob is the one who is asking for help, who could not grasp, that which is stated in such exemplary grammar in the help files?

You might want to chill out, as you are mistaken. Your aggression and use of derisive terms is not really well suited to a professional forum, (at least not this one) do you think?

When attempting to deride another forum member, for being less intelligent or tactful than yourself, you would do well to check your own grammar, and not put too much faith in your spell checker.

Your is a possessive pronoun, I believe you may have been looking for a contraction, but I cant figure out what it might have been. :|

I haven't read any of the links or attachments posted by the OP, but tombu, who has also been trying to help dan, seems to agree with Rob's assessment.

Let's all get back to trying to help people.

Edited by Dadgad