Importing objects to scale

MKHansen

I'm switching over to ACAD 2015 from autosketch. The way we used to make drawings was to save an aerial image, import it into autosketch, stretch the image to scale, and trace what we needed to trace. And for topography maps we would just scale the 8.5 x 11 PDF to fit on the page. Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but we can only print to 8.5x11 or 11x17 paper size.

Now that we are switching to CAD, I'm not getting my boss to understand that to create drawings the old way takes a lot longer, and is more difficult to do now. Or maybe it's just as easy and I'm not doing it correctly? He isn't seeing how just inserting a world file is so much faster and easier (especially since we'll have to pay for them). We've never needed our drawings super accurate, if we were within 2 feet plus or minus, it didn't affect anything. And even though I can just import the world files, he's hung up on how CAD uses the GPS coordinates to make the drawings.

Can anyone help me explain to him that using the coordinates is HOW the drawing is created? And to make a drawing by stretching a PDF takes A LOT longer?

Unless of course, I'm wrong and just can't figure out how to create the drawing the old way... TIA

Look into stuff like IMPORT Google map & BING when you import a image you also import a scale factor file this allows a true location instantly. Out of our ARCGIS we export a JPG and a JGW we have a simple lisp that reads the JGW and auto rescales the jpg. We do this every day. It way better than 2'

example

Apply the appropriate scale when importing a CAD file, such as an AutoCAD Drawing (.dwg) or AutoCAD Interchange File (.dxf). To import a CAD file at the correct scale:

Select the File > Import. The Open dialog box appears.

Select the type of file to open from the 'Files of type' (Microsoft Windows) or 'Format' (Mac OS X) drop-down list.

Click the Options button. The import options for the specific CAD file type appears.

Select the appropriate scale from the Units drop-down list.

Click the OK button.

Click the Open button. The CAD file is imported.

Thanks,

SD-Academy

If your boss does not like the big numbers then just reset the origin point, UCS OR 0,0,0 pick point then UCS S your new "mapname", if you wnat to return to real world at any time UCS W back to yours UCS R "mapname"

Look into stuff like IMPORT Google map & BING when you import a image you also import a scale factor file this allows a true location instantly. Out of our ARCGIS we export a JPG and a JGW we have a simple lisp that reads the JGW and auto rescales the jpg. We do this every day. It way better than 2'

example

BIGAL's solution will most likely be your best. And the ALIGN command will be your new friend. Welcome to AutoCAD!