HELP: Stretching and Shrinking problem

jasonle215

While editing block, click on array path object ( small vertical lines - black ) and type ctrl+1 - property... Then in cell for number of item - just below (method - Divide), type d4/1500+2 as an expression... This is how I managed to set up array by path... Of course, you have to set up firstly d4 dimension and other constraints parameters... HTH, M.R.

Thanks!!!!!! it solves my problem toooo!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dadgad

• iconeo

• jasonle215

• marko_ribar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent Jason, you got it? Marko cutting right to the chase with a succinct solution, well done. :beer:

Jason could you post your block, as I have been working on this too, and what I will post is okay, with one caveat.

If the length of the block is such that it would accomodate spacing of exactly 1500, it adds in one more item, as per the formula.

It won't exceed 1500 in spacing, but I wished I had an "if" or conditional capacity to apply in the formulation, and I didn't see how to do it.

I am quite eager to see what you came up with, and glad to see that you seem to be embracing the concept of dynamic blocks. Now if I could only get more conversant with creating them! I don't really have much call for them in my work, but I really like them.

Whoops, I just noticed that Marko has already posted his solution, I obviously will be diving into that right now!

Hmmmm, something weird going on when I open Marko's block?

Too late for further investigation right now here, almost lights out.

More on the morrow! :)

Can anybody get the one I tweaked to work any better?

test_by_chau.dwg

Edited by Dadgad

Ok here is the latest block with improvements.

test_by_chau.dwg

Below is the block editor.

chau_tutorial.jpg

I added the standard perpendicular constraints in order for the block to keep its shape. Then I added the overall constraint in order to adjust the size. Next, I added a line for the array path and constrain it with ''left' and "right" to keep it centered and constrain it with parallel. Now, I add the red vertical marker.

Now we use the parameter manager. In my previous iteration I tried to use the roundup function but it wouldn't let me. I was able to get the ceil function to work with better affect. You can see the available functions by right clicking once you are in a cell. The math should be pretty straightforward.

Then I created the array, set it to divide, and for the items use the arraycount parameter I created.

Cheers.

Iconeo, I am glad to see that you used the array count formulation which I was trying to, but could not get to behave properly, so I had to use +2 (as Marco had suggested). That was the reason the length was unable to reach a maximum of 1500 units.

I am unable to open the Parameters Manager, I will probably need to go explore on the Ribbon.

Gee, I guess not, right there on my menu bar! I never use the parametric features, should get used to them though. :|

Jason, it seemed to me that you might want to have the increment spacing between centers displayed, so I added a Field to the block, which upon regeneration, will automagically update to the proper length between centers. The Field display could be changed to Architectural or whatever other dimension display format and precision settings you might like.

I notice that Iconeo (chau) is in Seattle, and that his drawing units are inches, but he has made the block Unitless.

Unitless is of course fine. I work in Metric, but we use unitless blocks too.

Given that your spacing maximums are 1500, I assumed you are working in Metric.

My curiosity is piqued, what do these array lines represent, as if they are Imperial, they are 125 feet apart? I am guessing they aren't rebar! :huh:

Or else they are centerlines of REALLY BIG rebar

No doubt the Mtext in the added Field note will need correcting, sizing, text styling and such. The Field has extensive Additional Formatting options available, if you select it, then in the right click menu choose Edit Field.

It would be better if its center was coincident with the center of the array spacing which it represents but I resisted the urge to open that particular can of dynamic worms. :)

jason block with field added.jpg

test_by_chau ala Marko ala chau.dwg

Edited by Dadgad

I'm from Seattle not Jason. Unless he is too...

You can access the parameters palette when your in block editor mode and you run the PARAMETERS command. No need for the ribbon. +1 for the ribbon though, I never would have discovered the parameters palette if there wasn't a big fatty icon there for it.

I'm an imperial guy myself but I'm guessing the red lines are rebar embeds... If that is the case you could setup a user variable 'spacing' and have it replace the 1500 like I did with 'left' and 'right' so you could change the max spacing on the fly.

Man, that would work really really well for a parking layout dynamic block.

I finally noticed that my earlier comments had been erroneously directed to Jason, and I was impressed/depressed at how quickly he seemed to be coming to grips with dynamic blocks.

I can open the Parameters Manager right above my toolbars, on the Menu Bar, just never noticed, or used it.

Once I was in the Parameters Manager, that was exactly what I did, created one called spacing, so there is a read out of current spacing, like in the field I added earlier.

These really interest me, although in my detailing work, I have never had much need for them.

I noticed that there is a wealth of common formulatic expressions available once you select and right click in a cell, as you mentioned previously.

I will need to brush up on what they do, as I haven't used any of them in a long time.

Edited by Dadgad

I finally noticed that my earlier comments had been erroneously directed to Jason, and I was impressed/depressed at how quickly he seemed to be coming to grips with dynamic blocks.

I can open the Parameters Manager right above my toolbars, on the Menu Bar, just never noticed, or used it.

Once I was in the Parameters Manager, that was exactly what I did, created one called spacing, so there is a read out of current spacing, like in the field I added earlier.

This really interests me, just never had much need for them.

I noticed that there is a wealth of common expressions available once you select and right click in a cell, as was mentioned previously.

I will need to brush up on what they mean, as I haven't used any of them in a long time.

Lol no worries. By the way, I think that this is one of the original problems with dynamic blocks that frustrated people. I can't find any other solutions to automatically adjusting spacing like this anywhere on the net.

I'm sort of a dynamic block fanatic so feel free to ask me any questions.

What drives me nuts is the tediousness of defining the parameters, adding actions and selecting objects, although I understand that there is a whole lot of information needed, in order for them to work properly. Needless to say, once you get it figured out and dialed in, it becomes a huge time saver.

I am glad you & Marko picked up on this thread, as I suspect that Jason will become quite enamored of this capability. The new insights I have gained regarding how to formulate parameter field expressions, and discovering the parameter manager dialog, will definitely light a little fire under me, to experiment further with these, thanks for your help.

It seems to me that when you are specifying and applying a parameter, it should come with a default, but reconfigurable action. Then if you wanted to use a different one, you could select it via a drop down menu or flyout. :|

Edited by Dadgad

David have a look at this.

Just got a chance to look.

Somethings I expected from a dynamic block. Drill down into the Properties window. Certain values that can be manually edited. I didn't see any formulas for automatic calculations.

I am horrible with the STRETCH command. I don't think that I ever been able to complete the command and get the intended results. I'll keep trying, but no luck so far.

Thanks! -David

Just got a chance to look.

Somethings I expected from a dynamic block. Drill down into the Properties window. Certain values that can be manually edited. I didn't see any formulas for automatic calculations.

I am horrible with the STRETCH command. I don't think that I ever been able to complete the command and get the intended results. I'll keep trying, but no luck so far.

Thanks! -David

Generally, within dynamic blocks formulas have to be driven by parameters and constraints. You can find these by using the parameter manager within the block editor.

The only only formulaic thing you can do with actions are multipliers I believe. Such as stretching something by 2 but only having it move by 1 in order to keep it at a midpoint.

A well crafted block only saves my team 10 seconds here 20 seconds there a minute here and makes your drawings more accurate and consistent. But at the end of the day we've saved an hour of fiddling right? Dynamic blocks just make this difference even more pronounced.

Thank you guys for helping me with the problem. Just out of curiosity, if those red lines are in an array, is there anyway to stretch them in the vertical direction? as in making the red lines longer. Thanks

Thank you guys for helping me with the problem. Just out of curiosity, if those red lines are in an array, is there anyway to stretch them in the vertical direction? as in making the red lines longer. Thanks

The short answer is yes.

It seems like an additional STRETCH parameter and ACTION on the line would be one way to approach it.

Edited by Dadgad

The short answer is yes.

It seems like an additional STRETCH parameter and ACTION on the line would be one way to approach it.

Actually I don't think this would work as you can't apply changes to the source item within the array. You can't even use a block properties table to make changes on the source item which is very annoying.

One solution is to make the rebar length 1 and then add a parameter 'embed'. This parameter would then be input in the columns of the array with a between setting of 1. My biggest beef with this though is if you have to explode the block for tweaking you are left with thousands of 1mm length rebar sections. If you can live with this then it works fine.

test_by_chau.dwg

You could also just use visibility states for this I guess. Not as elegant though.

You would just have a visibility setup for each embed length and then a separate array would show for each length. Not that bad of a setup really as long as your embed lengths are standardized.

Actually I don't think this would work as you can't apply changes to the source item within the array. You can't even use a block properties table to make changes on the source item which is very annoying.

One solution is to make the rebar length 1 and then add a parameter 'embed'. This parameter would then be input in the columns of the array with a between setting of 1. My biggest beef with this though is if you have to explode the block for tweaking you are left with thousands of 1mm length rebar sections. If you can live with this then it works fine.

[ATTACH]55155[/ATTACH]

I like it like this, because I always run my Quick Properties, so it is real easy, on the fly, to change those lengths to any length you want. :beer:

Edited by Dadgad

• 1 month later...
Here is the evolution of this block that I whipped up.

You can edit the rebar from the properties box.

[ATTACH]55591[/ATTACH]

wow... have (yet) little experience with dynamic blocks but nicly done! good job iconeo!

gr. Rlx