How do I delete unused layers in my 'base' drawing?

MAREBER

hello-

I have been trying to clean up the layers in my go-to base drawing that I begin with for every new drawing.

Somehow, I have imported a few layers that are unseen and unused (as far as I can tell) and now I can not get rid of them. I always get the message that these particular layers can not be deleted because they are either in the 0 layer, current layer, blah, blah.

There must be a way to find and delete whatever is actually part of these imported layers that is causing them to stick around?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Layer 0 cannot be deleted. However, you should be able to delete any other layers that aren't needed using either Layer Merge or Layer Delete.

Thank you- I found an older thread about using laymrg to move things to the 0 layer. It worked with one layer= now to get all of them deleted forever!

Merging layers does not get rid of the objects. It just moves them to another layer. There are lots of threads about how to get rid of empty objects. The purge command can rid them from your file. If the objects don't purge, WBlock and copy/paste are probably the most popular options.

Also, if you are sure that you want to get rid of everything on those layers, there is the LAYDEL command.

WBLOCK may also be useful, to produce a drawing with only the selected entities you want to keep (and their dependent Styles, etc.)