Drawing Limits settings

midnite74

Hi all, i got a little bit confused with my drawing limits default..

So, my drawing limit default coordinates are and , and my question is,

how can i change the default value in the command prompt area, “Specify upper right corner :” to “Specify upper right corner :” ?

I know that the one is in mm and the other one is in inches.. also, i've already tried to change the drawing units from milimeters to inches, but that didn't change the "upper right corner" default value to ..

I want to know this because for now I'm learning from a book that using inches as units..so i think it would be easier if I set my cad settings exactly like the book has..

*I'm using AutoCad 2012*

Drawing Limits is almost completely meaningless today, why a book would be covering it is strange. The limits are coming in with the drawing template you are using. If you want them to be set to something else then open the template and set them there and then any drawing based on that template will have the limits you are after.

The way you start a brand new drawing defaulted to inches (Imperial measurement system) is to open a new fresh drawing from one of the template drawings that come with AutoCad. Open the Acad.dwt template file rather than the AcadISO.dwt template file. The Acad.dwt defaults to the Imperial System of measurement, and the AcadISO.dwt defaults to the Metric System.

The UNITS command does not change the drawing units. To change drawing units, one has to use the command -dwgunits. Note the Hyphen. -dwgunits is complicated in concept for a beginner, so know what it does for you before using it.

As far as drawing limits, my advice is to skip over it, and only remember how to turn it off. It is a useless carryover from the days before paperspace layouts were introduced to AutoCad. It is a way for the draftsman to keep everything inside an area that will fit on a certain size piece of plotter paper. Nobody in the real world uses it at all. We use paperspace layouts and scaled viewports instead.

Thanks for the replies guys, so the solution is just opening the new sheet with acad dwt, (which is using inches as default units),

yea, apparently the drawing limit is not an important feature, but as beginner I was just curious about it..:)

Curiosity is a very good thing, were it not for that, we would all still be living in caves and espousing the Paleo diet, but unsure what to call it.

As rkent suggests, the fact that the book is addressing their use, seems to imply a bit of a disconnect from current practices.

If you really want to know how something is done, ask here, and you will get lots of different opinions, for any given task, but they will all be founded in real world experience.

MYCADSITE.com offers an excellent free sequential course.

As you need to brush up on particular functions or issues, the Tutorials section here is quite helpful.

But I really like the logical progression and flow of the instruction on that site, for new users.

I used it when I started.

Compare the following Zoom Extents, All, C, View, each has its advantages when moving in and out of a dwg. If you ever zoom extents and dwg disappears look for 2 dots one will be an object that you have drawn an extreme distance from the rest.