text snap/position

bjenk8100

Hello,

I am a beginner to tables and text besides dimensions and leaders. What is the best way to position text onto surfaces. For example, straight horizontal line and you want to put text a certain distance away from the line. I would like to do this without underlining text options or using tables. My big issue is that I am trying to make a title block. I need a revision delta symbol but it seems you need to make a block for that in autocad 2014. I would like to set my text (revision #) a certain distance from bottom line of triangle. I figured this is a beginners area question. Any help would be great!

Thanks

what you mean snap line to text? I usually have snap f3 enabled. I have tried snapping text to line but it snaps right onto line not a distance away?

Post some images or dwg showing what you want, you can draw a revision triangle using a lisp using 1st principles a pline and a text, a better way is to create it as a block you can do this on the fly also as part of a lisp. Have a look at this post BIGAL it creates a circle or a square pretty easy to add a triangle. Maybe tomorrow.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?90451-Increment-numbering-with-block&highlight=BUBBLE

Steven-g a macro ?

If the built in placement justification settings aren't enough for you when working in a table, and you need to have Offset functionality, you dould define a DIMSTYLE.

In which you would, on the LINES tab, choose to SUPPRESS both EXTENSION LINES.

On the TEXT tab you can specify the font, color and offset from the Dimension Line.

Once you have it set up, give it a name that makes sense, and SAVE it.

If you want to use it, select it and SET CURRENT.

If you double click on the dimension text, you can override it, with whatever you want, including with a DELTA icon which is available in the mtext editor.

I will post an image momentarily.

If you open the drop down menu on the right end of the mtext editor, then choose SYMBOL, you will have found the holy grail.

TEXT OFFSET dimension style.jpg

inserting a delta symbol.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

If it's just a one time or infrequent use, simply use offset to generate a second line the distance away where you want the text to snap. Snap the text to the second line, then erase the second line.

Ok,

I attached something very simple. It is not that big of a deal. It is just something I have wondered about since I have been using Autocad. I usually do not have to worry about text being in precise locations but now I do. I do not like freehand placing things within objects as seen in attachment. If I were to make these into blocks same thing would happen. I am guessing your answer is to make a block with the text as close as the eye can see?

Revision Symbol.dwg

Ok,

I attached something very simple. It is not that big of a deal. It is just something I have wondered about since I have been using Autocad. I usually do not have to worry about text being in precise locations but now I do. I do not like freehand placing things within objects as seen in attachment. If I were to make these into blocks same thing would happen. I am guessing your answer is to make a block with the text as close as the eye can see?

See the recently added graphics in my post #5.

I know about the symbol delta. Delta doesnt have a number inside it. I want a my revision symbol with triangle and number (revisions) inside. That was my main point. I will probably just make it a block and put number as close to where I want it as possible and a change make a text parameter i guess.

I know about the symbol delta. Delta doesnt have a number inside it. I want a my revision symbol with triangle and number (revisions) inside. That was my main point. I will probably just make it a block and put number as close to where I want it as possible and a change make a text parameter i guess.

I missed REVISION delta, when reading your first post.

Most people just do that, and if you want to you can add it into your default drawing template (.dwt), so that it is included in every new drawing.

Good idea not to PURGE it however, in case you later need to use it.

lol,

I get so caught up with other programs. Purge has ruined an entire day before. Just to refresh my memory with blocks. I know you can do blocks in any drawing. I remember making blocks as its own dwg with nothing else in it besides that block. That way you can insert it into any drawing and edit it if needed and it would not change original block dwg, correct? I will mess around with it but that is kinda what I remember. I am really use to revit and families where they are different file types. They should have done the same with blocks I feel.

lol,

I get so caught up with other programs. Purge has ruined an entire day before. Just to refresh my memory with blocks. I know you can do blocks in any drawing. I remember making blocks as its own dwg with nothing else in it besides that block. That way you can insert it into any drawing and edit it if needed and it would not change original block dwg, correct? I will mess around with it but that is kinda what I remember. I am really use to revit and families where they are different file types. They should have done the same with blocks I feel.

Once you have an Rev Triangle block inserted into your default template, things are pretty easy.

Use the WBLOCK command to create the block.

Set the value in it to be the first value you would actually use for your first revision or an issued drawing.

If a few days later you need to create another Revision drawing, just click on one of the Rev Triangle blocks and in your right clikck shortcut menu choose BlockEdit.

Then redefine the block using the appropriate revision number or letter, CLOSE THE BLOCK EDITOR, and select YES, save the changes.

Any revisions triangles which may still be in the drawing will be updated to the new value, you will probably want to erase all of them, or just move one aside, and use it to copy around your drawing to the locations of your latest revision. Or if you have erased all of the old ones, and you use the INSERT command, then select the block from the in drawing drop down menu, you will see that it is freshly inserted with the new Rev designation. Not so hard.