Drawing a male and female object and shrinking the male dimensiions

chubarka

Many is the time I have need to draw a female die and a male punch for Wire EDM. Also, the male punch has to be shrunk by .0005" or so. What is the easiest way to change an existing drawing by tenths of an inch? Either by increasing it, or decreasing it, which is sometimes necessary.

Also: What is the typical dimension difference between a punch and a die to obtain a finger push fit between the male and the female? Also for a running fit, or a slide fit.

Chubarka

And you are doing that by how? By reference or percentage?

I am doing it by re-drawing it from scratch. I am assuming that there is an easier way. "reference, or percentage", I don't know what either means. Let us use a rectangle .600" X .400" for an example. I want to shrink it by .0005" on each side.

Typically though for a punch and die set you would only want to be changing (shrinking) the diameters or the sides of the rectangle, and not the lengths.

In which case the STRETCH command might be better.

Wire EDM - I thought that was spark errosion? Are you punching holes as well?

If you are punching holes then you can find info on die clearances for different materials and thicknesses here:

http://www.mate.com/en/technical-resources/tips-techniques/tips-2/die-clearance-chart/

http://www.mate.com/assets/uploads/documents/Literature/Die%20Clearance%20Chart%20and%20Metal%20Gages%20Card_RevC.pdf

I saw that thread title and had to join in. There good be some great shrinking enlarging tutorials with that thread title. Both male and female.