New to Inventor, what is Work Path??

Zach571

Going from AutoCAD 2015 LT and have zero training on Inventor. I had gone through the learning path during the 30 day trial and picked up quite a bit. We now purchased it, I am the only user, and I want to make sure things are setup properly for file saving before I create a bunch of drawings. I get a warning when I go to save that says something about not in work path. I found where I can change the work path but I don't understand what this means anyways. I searched high and low for a walk through on this but I'm not sure what I am looking for so I haven't found anything useful. We have our files saved on the server, folder for each product group and then the .dwg files saved there. Should I set the work path (tools, application options, file tab...) to the folder that holds all of our product group folders??

I'm sure this is answered somewhere online, links are certainly welcomed. I have changed the templates location in Inventor and have created my template and title block. Is there anything else I should "setup" sooner than later??

Thank you,

Zach

Search with the words "Manage Projects" in Inventors help. Or pull down the menu under the "I". Go to Manage > Projects, and use the Help button in the dialog box. Go Autodesk.com, Support and Learning and type in "manage projects".

You should also consider setting up and using Vault from the get-go.
I'm interested in knowing why you recommend Vault from the get-go. Can you elaborate on this further? Thanks in advance!

-TZ

Search with the words "Manage Projects" in Inventors help. Or pull down the menu under the "I". Go to Manage > Projects, and use the Help button in the dialog box. Go Autodesk.com, Support and Learning and type in "manage projects".

This is what I found in my search: http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVLT/2016/ENU/?guid=GUID-35327F99-72FC-4154-BFB0-6E46E20B9E76 States several times "Not available in Inventor LT". Without any files open - I, Manage is grayed out. With a file open there is only one option under Manage and that is refresh or view Iproperties catalog.

All of our files are saved on the network and whenever I save an .IPT or .DWG there is says it is not in the work path. So far I haven't had any issues with this other than the popup every time but I am concerned that their may be something to this that will make my job harder in the future, so I would like to have this figured out before I create a bunch of drawings with Inventor.

What is the Vault??

Thanks,

Zach

Create a Windows folder for your Project.

Click Projects and create a new project (*.ipj) pointing that folder.

Project.png

I wouldn't worry about Vault in a single user environment or in multi-user if the group is small and communicate well.

Create a Windows folder for your Project.

Click Projects and create a new project (*.ipj) pointing that folder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56084[/ATTACH]

I wouldn't worry about Vault in a single user environment or in multi-user if the group is small and communicate well.

I have no "Projects" button. Under the "I" button, manage is grayed out if I do not have a file open. With a file open there still is no "projects option, and "refresh" is the only thing there that isn't grayed out.

I have been seeing a lot of stuff referencing Projects but I have yet to find it on my machine. Inventor 2016 LT.

Zach

no projects.PNG

The LT versions of Autodesk software are the "stripped down" versions when compared to the full platform.

See here:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/inventor-lt-family/compare/compare-products

I was aware of that before the purchase was made. Every bit of info I find about Projects doesn't say anything about it not being available for LT. Trying to figure out my template and a few other settings keep sending me to Projects yet I don't have that option. Sounds like Projects is needed for even basic drawing projects so I don't see why it would not be part of LT as well. Any Autodesk provided info I read about Inventor specifically states "not with LT" when applicable but I don't see any sign of that here: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/Inventor-Help/files/GUID-FB5EA98D-E486-4DF2-AF16-C19A8A09AB69-htm.html

Zach

Hmm, interesting. I'm not an Inventor guy so someone else will have to chime in. I'd hate to know that your reseller gave you false info.

Moderators: Maybe the need for an Inventor LT forum after all?