CAD 2011 v's CAD 2016

Frannym

Hi,

I use CAD 2011 on my PC but I need to purchase another licence for my laptop and the IT department have purchased CAD 2016. Will I be able to use my CAD 2011 maps on CAD 2016 without corrupting my floorplans?

I don't know what the difference is between the 2 versions...any advise greatly appreciated.

Big thanks

Franny

You should have no problems opening drawings created in the 2011 version of AutoCAD using the new 2016 version. They will not be corrupted. However, if you plan on editing the floor plans in 2016 then opening them later on using 2011 you'll have to save them to an earlier file format which would, in this case, have to be 2010.

If this is going to be a common occurrence then it might do you well to set up 2016 to always save in 2010 file format via Options > Open and Save > File Save heading...Save as. Use the drop down list to find the proper version. Click the OK button when finished.

If you have "subscription" there is a "Work at home clause" that allows you have a copy at home and at work. Ie only using 1 at a time. As you have 2011 this is unlikely, is the 2016 a subscription version ? This may get more complicated now with the new licensing system. It may be worthwhile doing some searching here under "License" there is lots of comments I am not sure what the current Rental Autodesk agreement states. I am sure someone will advise.