Everything Created on the 0 Layer

Casio47

Hello All,

I received a file, where 90% of the objects have been placed on the zero layer. Is there a way where I can select specific objects, with out exploding, to place on another layer?

Architecture 2016

Thanks

It would depend on what those objects were. Perhaps the use of QSELECT?

It must be "the" day for submitting crappy drawings because I just got one that I started a thread about. At least the company that submitted the drawing did not put everything on layer 0 and use the color white.

I tried the QSELECT, which I did not know about. I changed the filter to zero, but that just highlighted everything on the zero layer. So I'm still back to the same problem of how I can select specific objects inside the zero layer, and move them to their own layer.

Thanks

Let me reiterate. What are the objects? Circles, text, lines, blocks, etc., etc., etc.?

I have to go out into the field for a while so I may not have the chance to continue this discussion.

Hello All,

I received a file, where 90% of the objects have been placed on the zero layer. Is there a way where I can select specific objects, with out exploding, to place on another layer?

Architecture 2016

Thanks

you can try _SELECTSIMILAR

Are the objects in Blocks?

You can also edit block in place, but it sounds like this is not what you want to do.

Hello All,

Architecture 2016

Thanks

This looks like what you need.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?50422-Change-layer-of-Block-Elements

I tried the QSELECT, which I did not know about. I changed the filter to zero, but that just highlighted everything on the zero layer. So I'm still back to the same problem of how I can select specific objects inside the zero layer, and move them to their own layer.

Thanks

Yes, if you tell Autocad to select everything that's on layer 0, it's going to select everything that's on layer 0. You have to go a little deeper than that and provide more specific search criteria.

First, make sure you are in Model Space, which I assume is where this drawing is located. They didn't draw everything in Paper Space did they? I have received drawings like that before.

In the "Quick Select" dialog > Object Type > Choose what you want to select, (Blocks, lines, polylines, Hatches, Dimensions, Mtext, Text, Etc.).

Then choose the "Properties" of the object type you selected. For instance, if you are selecting blocks, choose "Name" as the Property and then for the "Value" choose the block you want to select.

You have to go in the proper order, top to bottom. Choose the Object type, then choose the Property, then the Value.

when I select one of the objects, the entire drawing gets selected

Check the object Properties. Is the entire drawing inside a block or is it an Xref. If it's a block then you will need to explode it.

In other words, when I select one of the objects, the entire drawing gets selected

is there a chance that it is a group? hit cntrl+shift+A and see if it behaves the same.

Thanks for all the help...here is what I did.

1. Moved everything off the zero layer to it's own layer

2. Selected all objects on the new layer, and went to Block Editor

3. Exploded inside of Block Editor, then saved,

4. While in Block Editor, I selected what I needed (individually), then used CTRL + C to copy

5. Closed Block Editor, then PASTEBLOCK back into the file, off to the side

5. I can now move the objects where I need, and put them on different layers as required

Probably not the best way to do it, but it works...

Thanks for the help