Viewport with a 'hole'?

SAFeSTeR

Hi,

Just wondered if it's possible to create a viewport with a 'hole' in it like in the image?

attachment.php?attachmentid=56309&cid=1&stc=1

The most difficult thing I've done with viewports is to create a polygonal one (that's a bit of a lie, but you get the idea). I've tried experimenting with the object / clipped options but have achieved nothing but failures.

My reason behind this is that I want to place a table in the drawing (self made, not an AutoCAD table, which I can't get on with) but I want a clear background. I know I can use a hatching behind the table but thought there must be a better way.

This is how I used to do it. There may be better a way. I've exaggerted the spacing of the lines to the right of the circle to show intent. Clip the viewport to a polyline similar to this. HTH.

Viewport With Hole.PNG

Can't see image.
Someone else said they couldn't see an image I uploaded recently. I have no idea why this is. Next time I'll try to add them as an attachment instead.

This is how I used to do it. There may be better a way. I've exaggerted the spacing of the lines to the right of the circle to show intent. Clip the viewport to a polyline similar to this. HTH.
That's a nice simple way of producing what I want, I've used a similar technique in the past for things (not CAD related) so I'm surprised I didn't even think of it, thanks. What do you mean by clipping to a polyline and HTH though? I will actually have a square in the centre instead of a circle so can just use the polygonal viewport option.

This looks good. I've not used regions either but will certianly be giving this method a go.

Thanks everyone :beer:

What do you mean by clipping to a polyline and HTH though?

I use vport clip to make the viewport the shape of the polyline.

HTH = hope that helps

I have tried dtkell's 'region' method and it works well, however, experimenting threw up another question:

What, if any, are the main differences between the commands -VPORTS and MVIEW? I couldn't seem to find any :?

I use vport clip to make the viewport the shape of the polyline.

HTH = hope that helps

OK, thanks. Sounds similar to the 'object' way but I guess you can edit an existing viewport to take on the shape of an object?