drawing a pipe bend

Razorcad

Hi guys,

For the first time ever I had to draw a pipe bend (industrial drafting), but I was having major problems because I couldnt figure it out because the bottom portion appears to be curved and angled, does one have any idea on how to draw it? Length A is a piece of cake but after that I got stuck. (Sadly everyone at my workplace who could help me is on vacation!)

Thanks

pipe bend prop.jpg

More information and an example of what you have so far would help us to help you.

2D or 3d?

Single line or two line piping?

Is the piping going to carry fluid or is it being used to build something else like a railing?

I don't know if it's the picture or not but that pipe looks wider near the bottom end of the bend.

Perhaps you have redundant information.

From the line A-A there is only one radius that would allow the pipe to pass through the point B.

I would draw it by starting with the line A-A from right to left. Then start the arc command, but when asked for the starting point, just press enter, and you will have an arc starting from A-A and tangential to it. The end point of the arc would be point B.

its 2d, i dont know whats single line or two line piping, its not used to carry anything, its just used as an arm to hold up an object.

Your right the pipe does look wider at the end, but if im not mistakened thats a kink (which is not needed).

Which arc command do i use???

Perhaps you have redundant information.

From the line A-A there is only one radius that would allow the pipe to pass through the point B.

I would draw it by starting with the line A-A from right to left. Then start the arc command, but when asked for the starting point, just press enter, and you will have an arc starting from A-A and tangential to it. The end point of the arc would be point B.

Have a look at these tracings. The bend is not a simple arc with an offset.

In the first one, I drew a polyline with a line and a simple arc as the single line example. The arc is close but it favors the left side quite a bit.

In the second, I traced the bottom edge planning on offsetting to the opposite side for two line representation and found that I was able to do that with a line and an arc. The offset wasn't even close. The pipe gets wider at the end.

Tubing.jpg

Using your illustration, Radius is the center line of the pipe, the outer radius would be R+1/2 pipe diameter, the inner radius would be R-1/2 pipe diameter (outer diameter each time, or nominal pipe size, pick one and stay consistent with that). The Section labeled B would be decided by the distance required from the center line of section A to where the pipe would be cut at B.

EX: radius is 12, pipe is 2"dia. Outer diameter is 13, Inner diameter is 11.

Using your illustration, Radius is the center line of the pipe, the outer radius would be R+1/2 pipe diameter, the inner radius would be R-1/2 pipe diameter (outer diameter each time, or nominal pipe size, pick one and stay consistent with that). The Section labeled B would be decided by the distance required from the center line of section A to where the pipe would be cut at B.

EX: radius is 12, pipe is 2"dia. Outer diameter is 13, Inner diameter is 11.

3 roller type bender has a min rad. of 12 inches anyway unless one use a matrix and tell you otherwise.

I would verify with supplier or the shop foreman both can confirm the minimal radius standards according to pipe size

HTH