Linetype orientation ("U" Variable) does not work

zaqrpser

Hello, I am using custom made linetypes for underground utilities. I have been using the "U" variable set to "0" so than when a drawings UCS is changed for different views, the linetypes will show up with the text in the correct "upwards" position. The problem I'm having is, it is not working. here is an example of one of those linetypes.

*xuCTV_t100d,Ex. Cable TV ------CTV--------CTV-----

A,1.50,-0.04,["CTV",X,y=-0.05,s=0.10,U=0],-0.30

Can anyone help? Thank You.

Welcome to CADTutor.

Unfortunately, AFAIK the U parameter (as opposed to A, or R parameters) doesn't work as we expect - to rotate the text relative to Model/PViewport view rotation, and Autodesk hasn't decided to fix (finish?) this feature's functionality.

Here are some related threads:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015-2016/linetypes-with-text-to-read-with-viewport/td-p/3471174

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-lisp-autolisp-and-general/linetype-with-text-right-side-up/td-p/2632946

Cheers

Thank you, I looked at those theads already and just copies all my linetypes and changed the "A" variable to 180. Thanks for the info.

Just throwing this out there, as this is a Civil 3D forum, and you list it - With my former employer, I created Alignment Styles to use for utilities in lieu of 'dumb' linework using Linetypes, which allowed me to individually override label frequency, delete/modify/shift individual labels as needed, and all labels automagically oriented to the sheet regardless of Viewport's DVIEW + Twist.

Cheers

all labels automagically oriented to the sheet regardless of Viewport's DVIEW + Twist.

Cheers

Hey BlackBox! How were you able to adjust this in the styles? My issue is that my boss does not like the Civil 3D objects in the xref drawings. He likes to have just CADD objects. This causes me to explode the alignment labels and bring them from my base plan to my sheets. I think I just answered my own question. It has to be a Civil 3D style that allows it to rotate to the view-port right? Where is that setting exactly?

How were you able to adjust this in the styles?

In the Label Style Composer dialog, General tab, simply change Behavior, Orientation Reference property to View - then, no matter what orientation your Viewport is twisted about the X axis, the labels are always plan readable (you can still apply a rotation to that View's orientation, under the Layout tab, Text, Rotation Angle property).

My issue is that my boss does not like the Civil 3D objects in the xref drawings. He likes to have just CADD objects. This causes me to explode the alignment labels and bring them from my base plan to my sheets. I think I just answered my own question. It has to be a Civil 3D style that allows it to rotate to the view-port right? Where is that setting exactly?

If your boss wants non-Civil 3D Objects, then you have two options:

1 - Use Alignments & Alignment Labels to dynamically update your drawings, then EXPORTTOAUTOCAD to produce a 'dumb' drawing for XREF

... Or....

2 - If your boss just means no 'primary' Civil 3D Objects (i.e., Alignments, Profile Views, etc.), then try using the ADDSEGMENTLABELS Command, found under Lines/Curves menu, Add Line/Curve Labels menu item, Multiple menu item. This will label arcs, lines, polylines, etc., and still allow you the ability to configure General Label Styles (see Toolspace, Settings tab, General, Label Styles).

HTH

BlackBox! You are the man! You answered my question spot on! Thank you so much. I can't wait to try out the commands you have suggested for bringing in the line work. You guys never cease to amaze me. Thanks again!

It really did help, as you say cheers

BlackBox! You are the man! You answered my question spot on! Thank you so much. I can't wait to try out the commands you have suggested for bringing in the line work. You guys never cease to amaze me. Thanks again!

It really did help, as you say cheers

You're welcome, MillerMG; that is kind of you to say. :beer:

Cheers

BlackBox,

I used the EXPORTTOAUTOCAD and it was EXACTLY what I was looking for! It worked like a charm and made my life of exploding, copying & pasting so much easier!! Thank you very much. This site is great! lol :D