Lost With iPart

Zac Davis

ok. so i managed to create ipart based on some parameter (width and length), created three different rows and everything looks good, in part mode i can click on any of the instances i have on the browser and the part change accordingly.

now, problem is i cant understand how to use it in a context of an assembly ???

do I need to generate a file from part model by right click >genereate files? (in my case "generate files" is greyed out so im unable to do this)

or i should just place it an assembly and choose the version of the ipart i wish while placing, and then it saves it automatically?

with all the manual I've read i see inventor supposed to create a sub-folder called by name of the part just with bracket (e.g. part name=Z1 , Folder name=Z1_) , In my case inventor doesn't create this folder, the only thing happens after i place an ipart in asssembly is that after saving i have that one entity of this chosen part under the project folder. (no subfolder is created by inventor) , also where do i need to keep the original ipart? can i move it to other locations and use it ?

and what are obligatorty columns used with iparts? and in which order? because some iparts worked for me and some are not!

Many Thanks!

• 1 month later...

The Easiest way to use the iPart is to use the "place iLogic Component" button under assembly when you are placing it.

Or, you could do it the way you are currently, just right click on the table in the model browser after placement and you will be able to edit the part to a different model as needed.

The third way is to use iLogic to control the assembly so all you have to do is manipulate using a form, However, that is beyond a Forum.

The original needs to be kept under one of your Projects. Each time you open Inventor, your project needs to be linked to the info. So if you are going to use the standard parts continuously, then create a project called "gadget design tool" or whatever, that way you know where your parts are located that you need to assemble

Every parameter that you rename is going to automatically generate a column. You can remove them as necessary. As far as order, that is annoying. If you want a certain order, then you have to manually remove all columns, and then re-input in the order you want. Hope this helps

The Easiest way to use the iPart is to use the "place iLogic Component" button under assembly when you are placing it.

Or, you could do it the way you are currently, just right click on the table in the model browser after placement and you will be able to edit the part to a different model as needed.

The third way is to use iLogic to control the assembly so all you have to do is manipulate using a form, However, that is beyond a Forum.

The original needs to be kept under one of your Projects. Each time you open Inventor, your project needs to be linked to the info. So if you are going to use the standard parts continuously, then create a project called "gadget design tool" or whatever, that way you know where your parts are located that you need to assemble

Every parameter that you rename is going to automatically generate a column. You can remove them as necessary. As far as order, that is annoying. If you want a certain order, then you have to manually remove all columns, and then re-input in the order you want. Hope this helps

Thanks for that! i will give those option a try and let you know!