Select objects: or (A)ll

Happy Hobbit

This should be easy, however I'm struggling with it. I would like a routine to use as a template that uses the following method:

Prompts: "Select objects: or (A)ll"

A left then click starts the select items by window unless "A" is entered, in which case everything (filters allowing) is selected

My code so far is:

(defun c:select-opt (/ opt ss)
 (setq opt (cond ((getkword "\nSelect objects: or (A)ll "))("s")))
 (cond
   ((eq opt "a")
          (setq ss (ssget "_X" '((0 . "TEXT,MTEXT"))))
   )
   ((eq opt "s")
    (setq ss (ssget "_:L" '((0 . "TEXT,MTEXT"))))
    )
 )
(princ (itoa (sslength ss)))
 (princ)
)

This works, but needs a right click first, I would like to do away with the right click

You can simply use

and type "all" when prompt for selection.

Or

(princ "\nSelect objects or press enter to select all: ")
(or
 )

That's odd, it works in the Console but comes up with ; error: too few arguments in a lisp:

(defun c:select-opt ( ss )
 (princ "\nSelect objects or press enter to select all: ")
(or
)
(princ (strcat "\n" (itoa (sslength ss))))
 (princ)
)

I still think it must be possible to put a 'cond' statement within a command, witness the draw circle, arc or spline for starters.

Or Trim which returns "Select objects or

Oh well

I still think it must be possible to put a 'cond' statement within a command, witness the draw circle, arc or spline for starters.

Or Trim which returns "Select objects or

Oh well

With a simple if like that maybe? :)

(defun c:select-opt ( / ss)
 (princ "\nSelect objects and press enter or press enter right away to select all: \n")
 (if (not (setq ss (ssget "_:L" '((0 . "TEXT,MTEXT")))))
     (setq ss (ssget "_X" (list '(0 . "TEXT,MTEXT") (cons 410 (getvar 'ctab)))))
 )
 (princ (itoa (sslength ss)))
 )

I limited the ssget _x to the current tab only, without it it would select from all tabs and model as well.

Cheers!

Jef!

That does exactly was I am after, thank you Jef!

The problem with the

(or
 )

method was that a mis-click on a non text item would make the code default to ssget_X

Aside from the addition of the layout filter for the (ssget "_X") expression, note that an (if (not ... ) ...) statement will operate identically to an (or ) statement.

In both cases, the second expression will only be evaluated if the first returns nil.

You're right Lee, it does.

I did try a

(setq pt (getpoint))
(ssget pt (getpoint))

statement inside an 'if' to take care of a left click, ssget supposedly allowing for:

(ssget [sel-method] [pt1 [pt2]] 

format, but it doesn't work very well. I also tried a grread to detect left or right clicks to decide the left/right click (5 or 25), grread would also supply the starting coordinate for the ssget, I was unsuccessful here too.

But I always wondered if the objects are already selected - how they can be expressed wih setq ?
I'm not in front of my work computer, but if i were you i'd start by looking at vla-get-activeselectionset. I'M not sure non vlisp could achieve the same but something tells me that could be a viable answer to what you're looking for.

note that an (if (not ... ) ...) statement will operate identically to an (or ) statement.

In both cases, the second expression will only be evaluated if the first returns nil.

Thanks for that info. I had a hunch it could do the same but didn't have the time to verify. Beside, i felt a if statement might be easier to understand without further explications. Nonetheless, I always appreciate how in depth you explain things, and the quality of your comments.

That does exactly was I am after, thank you Jef!
I'm glad I could assist!

Cheers!

But I always wondered if the objects are already selected - how they can be expressed wih setq ?

You could use the Implied Selection mode string ("I"), or you could use the ssgetfirst function.

However, note that ssget will honour an implied selection by default providing PICKFIRST=1.

I always appreciate how in depth you explain things, and the quality of your comments.

Thank you for your positive feedback Jef, I appreciate it.

Further to my original thread & thinking generally about selecting items I came up with a WIP lisp that selects either multiple text or a single attribute. I haven't finished it yet, it's far from perfect (have to wait until tomorrow, if I get time) but I think it's got potential for various editing functions. One immediate drawback is the lack of a 'window' whilst the text is being selcted for the ssget, no idea how to achieve that. Any thoughts anyone?

;; http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?69933-Get-point-via-entsel (pBe #5)
(defun c:Select-Text-or-Attribute (/ ent gr pt ss)
 (if (or (setq ent (nentsel))
       (setq gr (grread t 15 0)))
     (setq pt (if  ent 
                    (cdr (assoc 10 (entget (Car ent))))
                    (cadr gr)))
         )
 (if ent
   (princ (strcat "\nSelected item is a: "(cdr(assoc 0 (entget (car ent))))"UTE"))				;; Anything
    (progn												;; You
    (setq ss (apply 'ssget (append '("_C") (append (list pt) (list (getpoint))) '(((0 . "TEXT"))))))	;; Choose
    (princ (strcat "\nThe number of TEXT items is: " (itoa(sslength ss))))				;; can go
    )													;; in here
   )
(princ)
)