Units Insertion scale

It seems preety straight forward but it confused me . In units, when i created decimal type and insertion scale mm and created a 5 unit line ..and then i changed insertion scale to inches and created 5 unit line...surprisingly,both lines were equal...again i created engineering units and insertion scale inches, feet ,mm,cm and so on and created 5 unit line... opposite to my expectations all the lines were equal in length whatever the insertion scale is? I know i am not underatanding the concept of insertion scale... expecting someone here to clarfy about this issue.... thanks in advance

You would do well to explore the -dwgunits command, and include the hyphen.

Just start the command, read the commandline prompts, and hit enter, keep reading all of the commandline options, hit enter and cycle through to the end of the command cycle.

This is a great command to know about.

Are you using an Imperial or a Metric template?

What do you want to draw in, Feet & Inches, or Metric units (the default metric unit is mms).

You should start with whichever type of template is appropriate for the units in which you wish to work.

The drawing units in your drawing are not defined by the insertion units scale.

Thanks Dadgad... i am using metric template... i want to draw in meters... like imperial templates where we can draw line in 5 feet by typing 5' and 5 inch by typing 5.. similarly in metric template i m only able to draw in milimeters..... what i have to do if i need to draw in meters for examle 5.6m line.... i dont want to type 5600mm....

If you do a click through the -dwgunits command, as I suggested in my earlier post, it will quickly become apparent.

Play around with a copy of a drawing, don't just jump right in, on something which is irreplaceable.

It is a wonderful command, as it sort of summarizes the functions of a bunch of other more confusing commands, into a cohesive set.

But don't fall asleep at the wheel, READ the COMMANDLINE prompts slowly and attentively, or you could very quickly be taken on an unintentional detour to "NOW WHAT DO I DO?"

If you pay attention and do this right, when finished you will just enter 5.6 if you want a line drawn which is 5.6 meters long, as your new drawing units will be meters.

-DWGUNITS in 2013.JPG

Wether you draw 5 or 5000 is not so relevant in metric its a choice at the start of your project we draw a combo of both in one template and its no problems as we work unitless and use viewports to handle the 1/1000 factor. We may show a rectang 0.9x0.6 but the full blown detail will start with 900x600. One of our guys recently drew a project in metres but the fabricator required the detail dwgs in mm solved by just adding a dim style to reflect a scale factor of 1000. So we had m and mm.

One word of warning the words Insertion scale were used by the OP and we have had problems where old blocks would be scaled at 1/0.3048 which is a feet to metric problem.

Wether you draw 5 or 5000 is not so relevant in metric its a choice at the start of your project we draw a combo of both in one template and its no problems as we work unitless

One word of warning the words Insertion scale were used by the OP and we have had problems where old blocks would be scaled at 1/0.3048 which is a feet to metric problem.

I hear you BIGAL, I work in mms on a customized Metric template, but allblocks are unitless, and I have autoscaling turned off, just in case. I rarely need to scale, but when I do, I prefer to do it myself. :beer: