Selecting objects by color doesn' work if the object's color is "by layer"

I'm trying to select objects by color but it doesn' work neither using Quick Select nor Filter if the object's color is "by layer".

Any way to solve this issue?

Thanks

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

I was surprised to hear this, as FILTER is a really powerful command.

It worked for me, with the Filter defined as shown in the screenshot of the dialog box.

I then used the SAVE AS button to add it to the drop down list of saved filters, making it easy to use another time.

Compare the Quick Properties item totals, they correctly identify a total of 5 items for which the color is not defined by layer.

I immediately tried Quick Select, and thought I would need to define the filter, but was surprised to find that it was already the same as I defined in the Filter command.

Meaning that Quick Select is the same command, just an alternate interface.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. It certainly is easier to use than FILTER.

After you have selected " COLOR =" be sure to click on the SELECT button, and choose BY LAYER in the SELECT COLOR dialog box, then click OK, don't type "By Layer" into the available box on the Object Selection Filter dialog.

In the QUICK SELECT dialog you would obviously define the COLOR by using the VALUE drop down menu.

Quick Select settings are the same.JPG

selection filtered for color by layer.JPG

when selecting everything.JPG

filter settings for color by layer.jpg

filter color selection dialog.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

Since ByLayer could be any color, qselect treats it as another color; i.e. the color assigned to the entitiy could be red, blue, ByLayer, etc. Objects with their layer's color assigned blue and set to ByLayer will not be selected when blue is assigned to the selection filter because the object's assigned color is ByLayer not blue.

Since ByLayer could be any color, qselect treats it as another color; i.e. the color assigned to the entitiy could be red, blue, ByLayer, etc. Objects with their layer's color assigned blue and set to ByLayer will not be selected when blue is assigned to the selection filter because the object's assigned color is ByLayer not blue.

Good one Rob, after reading your response, I am thinking I probably misread this post earlier. :beer:

So? I guess it's not possible...

I think Autocad should look for the actual color of the object dismissing the way color was assigned to it or which layer it belongs to.