LISP - Block Rename / Block Replace

jeff26

Hi,

First, this site is wonderful. Many posts from members have helped me with my questions. I've been scouring the forum for a LISP, but seem to have come up short.

I'll try to explain what I'm trying to do. I have a consultant that uses Revit for design, but our company uses AutoCAD. They have exported their model into a dwg for us to see and use, but it came with its own problems.

One such problem is the family of items such as a chair. Each chair they created has its own unique name. So when I open up the dwg and take a look at my block list, I see tons of identical chair blocks with their own name. There may be up to 10 chairs with a given unique name along with 10-20 different block names (if that makes sense).

I have tried using RENAME, but it only allows one type of block to be re-named. Anything else becomes a duplicate error. I have also looked into EXPRESS TOOLS REPLACE BLOCK. The replaced block can accept the new name, but gets changed with a different rotation. I suspect that the block was drawn with a rotation. It isn't feasible for me to go and re-rotate all the blocks due to the number present. I have also looked into the BRE LISP by Alan Thompson. Again, the replaced blocks get rotated.

So, I am looking for a LISP that can snatch up all those unique blocks and rename or replace them with a generic block name like A-CHAIR while keeping their orientation as seen in model space.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Jeff

Some time ago I posted this program to facilitate the selection of blocks with differing block names but with identical geometry; upon acquiring such a selection, one can rename or replace the blocks to use a single block name. Unfortunately you will need to wait until The Swamp forums are back online to view the posted code - the site should be back up any day now.

Welcome to this site Jeff!

It is a great resource ! together with that other site

Hope theswamp.org is back online soon.

Let me point you to the site of Lee Mac while i am at it.

great stuff! http://www.lee-mac.com/programs.html

I am familiar with the Revit DWG output. Been there, d... still am there as a matter of fact..;-)

Will get back to you later this week after reading and thinking some

Have to go to bed now..

These i made with some Revit DWG obstacle in mind. Part of possible sollutions...

Enjoy

Good night