windows photo editor and editing the file size of images in your cad drawing

mvrcad

Hi guys

previously i used windows photo editor to reduce the image file size (without recusing the file dimensions) for images that i was inserting into CAD

now it appears on windows 10 that windows photo editor doesn't exist anymore.

can anyone recommend a program that's good for this please?

of all the apps ive seen, they seem to be for making kids funny photos etc, but none that are useful for cad professionals

hi irwin

I tried Irfinview, however when it compresses an image it actually changes the height and width of an image, therefore it doesn't align with things its meant to align with in cad.

if i could get it to compress an image or lower the dpi, but keep the same dimensions it would be great,

i think i have found a temporary solution, reducing the file in bluebeam and then converting the pdf output to jpg

Try changing the image type *.jpg and *.gif usually give a smaller file size, and in Irfanview if you choose saveas Jpg you should get an option in the dialogue to set the size of the file you want to save

If you compress an image you are decreasing the image quality. If you change the resolution (reduce the pixel dimensions) you are also decreasing the image quality. Pick your poison.

To change the resolution in Windows 10 open Paint (Windows, All apps, Windows Accessories, Paint) then click Resize in the Home menu. The aspect ratio of the image will not be affected. A resize of 50% will make the file size 1/4 as large as the original, 25% = 1/16th as large.

~Lee

I usually use MS Paint simply to save the picture as a png file, which reduces the file size by quite a bit, then bring it into AutoCad with IMAGEATTACH.

By the way, one can change the image size in AutoCad too by simpy scaling with reference to fit a specific area.

thanks guys

you see i sometimes put the satellite image in to cad and align it with an architectural plan of a building.

then when i go to plot the drawing to pdf the file has been huge, so i have had to reduce the satellite images file size to reduce the pdf size.

(thats a whole different story with bluebeam crashing and i am getting assistance from autocad with that)

so Autocads suggestion was to reduce the satellite image file size.

but, the image editing software i used to use doesn't come with windows 10... and reducing the images dimensions means i have to realign the satellite image with the architectural again... which is a pain in the @ss

thanks all for your tips, ill give paint.net a go

Most of my large aerial images are attached into one drawing, I then xref that drawing into the drawings I use the images in.

I have one drawing that is 143KB comprised of 6 18MB Aerial Images. They plot to printer and PDF just fine.

What is the original file type for the satellite image?

Most of my large aerial images are attached into one drawing, I then xref that drawing into the drawings I use the images in.

I have one drawing that is 143KB comprised of 6 18MB Aerial Images. They plot to printer and PDF just fine.

What is the original file type for the satellite image?

mentmore av 5 may 2016 large.jpg

.png files. that's a thought, ill give x reffing the images in as a drawing

You can also use Publish, and publish options to opt not to include layer and block information in your pdf. That alone reduces the size of the pdf file an astounding amount.