Freeze layers of selected objects

Mtes

Hello.

Is there a way (via Autocad basic tools or Lisp) to freeze layers by picking objects first (Freeze layers of all selected objects)? PICKFIRST variable doesn't seem to affect LAYFRZ command.

Of course I could freeze each layer individually by first executing command and then selecting objects one by one, but it takes too much time if i have 20+ different layers i need to freeze at once.

Thank you.

Use LAYFRZ, but select the objects in succession, in one go, just keep picking additional bits, no need to rerun the command.

If you already understand this, I apologize, as I know this is not exactly what you are after. :|

Layer states

+1

Yeah Rob, I was thinking the same thing, if they were repeatable sets of layers. :beer:

Unclear from the initial post, sounds like that might not be the case.

Mtes, do these layers need to be selected in each drawing, or if from one vendor, might they be groupable into presaved Layer States for easy repeatability in the future?

Meaning are these layer names going to be consistent?

No, layer names are not consistent, they are random every time. I'm just looking for a way to speed up drafting, when i need to freeze multiple layers and I've got objects on relevant layers in front of me.

No, layer names are not consistent, they are random every time. I'm just looking for a way to speed up drafting, when i need to freeze multiple layers and I've got objects on relevant layers in front of me.

Sounds to me like you need a LISP then. :|

But since you will need to Select them each time, either way, I am not really sure where you expect to save the time?

Not sure if this is what you are looking for?

Maybe slightly easier than singularly selecting objects multiple times, this lisp will let you select singularly or with multiple crossing windows.

However, it will not individually select objects that are nested within a block.

I Credit the author at the top of the lisp.

It was originally for turning off layers but I amended it to freeze layers.

LF.lsp

Not sure if this is what you are looking for?

Maybe slightly easier than singularly selecting objects multiple times, this lisp will let you select singularly or with multiple crossing windows.

However, it will not individually select objects that are nested within a block.

I Credit the author at the top of the lisp.

It was originally for turning off layers but I amended it to freeze layers.

Thanks, that's exactly what i was looking for. The only issue, is that you need to execute LAYERP command multiple times to thaw those frozen layers, but this is where layer states could come in handy.

Glad to help.:)

If it's a situation where you don't mind thawing ALL frozen layers, you could use the command LAYTHW

Regarding layer states, I can point you to another handy lisp, see this link: -

http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/layer-states/save-and-restore-layer-states

I have this incorporated into a toolbar and find it a useful pair of short cuts.

Edited by Manila Wolf
Added the Save & Restore layer states link

Glad to help.:)

If it's a situation where you don't mind thawing ALL frozen layers, you could use the command LAYTHW

Regarding layer states, I can point you to another handy lisp, see this link: -

http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/layer-states/save-and-restore-layer-states

I have this incorporated into a toolbar and find it a useful pair of short cuts.

Thanks, that's even more than i asked for :)

I think this lisp will be useful.