Rebar Detailing Idea

jonathann3891

I have an idea for a lisp/dcl or whatever to layout rebar.

So basically there will be a dialog box and you input the foundation dimensions, offsets, number of bars, rebar size, etc. and have it draw all the rebar in for you. I can see how it can get extremely complicated.

My lisp knowledge is limited and I don't really know jack about DCL. Is this too complicated to accomplish or is it doable?

Anything is doable given enough time and effort. But before I'd go reinventing (perhaps?) the wheel I would check to see if the routine already exists in some form or another. Try over at The Swamp or at the AUGI website for starters.

I don't think putting a lot of effort in 2D rebar detailling routines is beneficial, just to make drawings. As you mentioned. Rebar is like programming spagetti 3D, it is complicated

If you want to do this effectively (not just to maing a drawing) it has to be 3D based in the first place and secendly it should be possible to export to a export format that can be fabricated (3D CAD / CAM) There is allready some good specialized rebar detailling software available (Tekla, Nemetschek). Unfortunately, not anything is put togeter DWG based.

However, i find it usefull to discuss this and share some idea's with you others about how rebar is done.

Kind regards

Hans

Civil Engineer

(btw ..I only have some basic knowledge of DCL and Lisp programming but i can find my way)

The subject of a rebar detailing lisp routine has been discussed here in the past. You might try searching for them and see what, if anything beneficial, they may have to offer.

JTB World offers a rebar detailing lisp program for sale. No stated price however.

http://jtbworld.com/engco-for-rebar-detailing

Edited by ReMark

Agreeing with the other guys. This is not a new idea. Already out there. I am a Revit user and I know the rebar and reinforcement tools (which are all 3D already) are very slick and can create very good outputs in no time. More importantly it's accurate, so as long as you model the structure accurately. Like Hans mentioned, not AutoCAD based though.

The abilities of working with rebar in Revit are limited thought. For use in civil constructions I believe in-place modelled shapes cannot be done with it. Can it, tzframpton?

The abilities of working with rebar in Revit are limited thought. For use in civil constructions I believe in-place modelled shapes cannot be done with it. Can it, tzframpton?
I am in the AEC industry and have not used In-Place Families. I don't see why it wouldn't work though. I'm curious to test it.

Please do. I would like to know your opinion about 'valid hosts'

I believe default 'AEC industry families' as you might call them can be hosts, the ones coming 'out of the Revit Box'.

for any more complex geometry Dynamo seems the answer. (read: Still have to programm it...)

http://core.thorntontomasetti.com/dynamo-for-rebar-is-now-available/

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Revit-Model/files/GUID-A620B8CD-8F8B-45F0-924E-199FBE982183-htm.html

Knipsel.JPG

Hmm, that's not accurate. You can also apply rebar to Structural Columns. So... I created an In-Place Model of a regular column, and no rebar options. Did the same thing but made it a structural column and it worked. In-place Structural Column Model can add rebar. I tried it and it worked. It was a blended shape so very irregular and was still able to get it to work. Tried the same thing with an In-Place Structural Framing Model and it worked as well.

How simple did you shape them?

Please share some pictures of geometry.

Simple. As in, I just placed one just to see if it would or not. I did not try at all manipulating it.

Although interesting it won't solve the OP's problem since he is using plain AutoCAD 2012.
Side topics. It happens. :)

Simple. As in, I just placed one just to see if it would or not. I did not try at all manipulating it.

Side topics. It happens. :)

No worries :)

I downloaded OpenDCL and started designed the DCL, But struggling with everything else.

The tutorial is vague in areas and the staff on the forums isn't very helpful. Anyone here use OpenDCL?

Just playing with getting the lisp to call up the DCL, I can get it to show but I cant get the slide to load.

Tutorial doesnt cover that and no useful info on the forums.

This project may be way beyond my skill level already :(

Here is a glimpse of my DCL *Not Finished*

Rebar.png

@ jonathann3891:

If you are unable to finish the OpenDCL beginners tutorial because there are sections you do not understand you should ask questions on the OpenDCL forum. Without the basic knowledge that you gain from this tutorial, you will have a hard time understanding the help, which I consider to be excellent, that is being offered.

Like others there is software out there and it's been around for say 20 years to do plain 2D structural detailing, it's all dcl driven answer questions select sizes etc and splat done. have a look at Strucplus it's an Aussie product but pretty sure sold with US and British libraries. The cost savings is tremendous start saving money from day one.

I would do the dcl last get the object drawn first correct either with dummy variables set or just answer questions.

Have you done the lisp part does it produce plan side front ?

Post a dwg is always a good idea lets others say I have that and will share.

Reading again your dcl should have lookup lists for rebars standard details like hook radius etc