general performance deterioration

cat3appr

Hi All!

I've noticed my CAD is slowing down, specially when i'm cycling from different drawings, say that i copy with basepoint from one DWG and paste to another one, this process takes several seconds... cad gets stuck both in the copying and in the pasting it... and in general i noticed a decreased performance.

I've searched around but i didn't find anything relevant, I have autocadMAP 2014 and windows 10 64 bit, 16GB of RAM and i7 3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz.

So, the system is pretty fast, i've done alrady a malware and antivirus check.

Please let me know anything I can do, besides reinstalling CAD or Windows, which of course is not an option :)

regads!

Alex

Step 1: Rule out data file issues.

Open AutoCAD Map

Open 2 new, empty drawing using no template.

Draw a few items in one of them.

Copy and paste them to the other one.

How does it perform?

If your normal drawings contain any of the big three bloat items (regapps, scale list entries, or dgn linetype data), then this data is carried from DWG to DWG like a virus.

Are you normal drawings larger in size than they should be?

"reinstalling CAD or Windows"

This should always be the option of last resort. Unfortunately some users opt to make it their first choice before exhausting all others.

Computer maintenance is key in maintaining performance:

Rebooting on a regular basis - (I only say this because some people never power off their computers.)

Disc cleanup for deleting temporary files

Anti-Virus/Malware scans

Defrag HDD - (SSD drives shouldn't be defragged and usually do not allow it.)

Step 1: Rule out data file issues.

Open AutoCAD Map

Open 2 new, empty drawing using no template.

Draw a few items in one of them.

Copy and paste them to the other one.

How does it perform?

If your normal drawings contain any of the big three bloat items (regapps, scale list entries, or dgn linetype data), then this data is carried from DWG to DWG like a virus.

Are you normal drawings larger in size than they should be?

I've done this with blank drawings and the copy/past works fine.

I wouldn't say is an issue of the template i'm using, as these are normal stuff, i've attached a screenshot, 31k in size.

other than that, i'm working with DWGs of about 2MB in size, with xrefs of 17-20MB, but i've done this always in the past, just noticing a slowing down now.

Is there any sort of automatic utility for CAD performances check?

"reinstalling CAD or Windows"

This should always be the option of last resort. Unfortunately some users opt to make it their first choice before exhausting all others.

exactly reinstalling autocad or windows(?!) any time a small issue comes up it's quite a silly idea. Imagine that one has all its settings in autocad, all the add ins and module.

I'm always against the easy suggestions of reinstalling everything when you first encounter a problem.

Troubleshooting and understanding the reason why of the issue, is the way to go

Screenshot - 09_07_2016 , 09_46_18.jpg

Run -purge R for regapps on your X refs even -purge A , check also your line types if you have say a linked shx line type this can do some weird things like a dot line type with thousands of dots being drawn. Post a dwg and it can be checked for dgn line types just leave like 1 line in a dwg check via 2016+

When did you first notice the problem?

Any new windows updates about the time the problem started?

Windows 10 has shown various quirks using older CAD programs.

What Graphics card? Is the Driver current?

With Windows 7 and 8 and 2014 AutoCAD Map3D, Autodesk recommends 3.0GHz dual core processor. 2.4GHz is on the slower side these days.