Making a design with variables

alexjahrens

Hi all,

I have a standard design that I need to customize based on customer requirements, and need to do this many times a day, so would like to semi-automate this. Here's the standard design:

Panel4-01.jpg

Basically, I need this shape to fit inside overall customer dimensions of Length and Width. To do this, I add or subtract length to the red and blue lines only - I don't touch the black lines. For example, say the above "standard" design fits in a box that's 20" x 12". My customer's box is 26" x 15". To make this custom design, I add 2" to each of the red lines and 1" to each of the blue lines.

Ideally, I would be able to run a "program" where it asks me for Length and Width, I type in L=26 and W=15, and it automatically adjusts the design.

Anyone know how to go about doing this? It seems like it should be kinda simple, if there was a way to take a design, select components of it, and assign variables to them. Thanks for your help!

Welcome to CADTutor Alex! :)

While using the stretch command twice with crossing windows wouldn't seem to take very long, clearly you are correct.

What I would suggest would be a simple Dynamic block to do this, with two Stretch parameters, obviously one each along the X & Y axii..

I just reread this, and noticed that you are using Autocad 2006, I didn't start using Cad until 2008, not sure if you will have Dynamic Block capability or not.

If not, I suspect one of the lisperati might be willing to show you the way to go, creating a lisp for this.

Edited by Dadgad

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been a pretty simple user of CAD until now, so I need to do some reading up on creating blocks. Does anyone have a good resource for a block newbie like myself? :)

Google there are some good Utube videos nice thing can wind back and listen/watch again. Also "Parametric"

I might be wrong, but am just guessing that Parametric capabilities were introduced in a later version, BIGAL.

This is a good youtube video, explaining adding a single stretch action to a newly created dynamic block.

You will essentially be doing this same process, to add two stretch actions, one on each axis, but this should show you the light, I hope so. :)

Is it always symmetrical?

It looks like you will need 3 primary aspects of dynamic blocks.

Linear stretch set

Dimensional Constraints (if symmetrical) and parametric constraints.

You can do it with just linear stretch sets but it wouldn't be as intelligent as it could be.