Data Links

Ski_Me

I've never used data links before but I tried to create one the other day but it didn't work like I wanted it to. I was trying to use cells that were returning a value from a vlookup but when I inserted the table into the drawing all the data went away. Like autocad couldn't solve the formula. Can I only do data links were the excel file uses just basic functions like in autocad?

Any time I have used Excel and CAD I would insert Excel into CAD I would first in Excel select and copy the cells I wanted to insert, then I would use in AutoCAD the "Paste Special" and then select "Paste Link" and "AutoCAD Entities" and drop in copied cells.

I would do any formulas or whatever in Excel and you must "Save" before selecting cells to copy. It is best to make any changes in Excel and then you can either reinsert the cells or you can do "Update Data Links" in AutoCAD.

You can do it a couple different ways but this causes the least amount of headache for me.

I've never used data links before but I tried to create one the other day but it didn't work like I wanted it to. I was trying to use cells that were returning a value from a vlookup but when I inserted the table into the drawing all the data went away. Like autocad couldn't solve the formula. Can I only do data links were the excel file uses just basic functions like in autocad?

Did you change the cell data type to retain the formula?

Im not sure that CAD can do advanced formulas like those in excel so if it has to import he formula then use it, it may not work.