how to set up cad file to make projects easier

Draw n'go

So I'm trying to figure out how to best streamline things at work when we start projects.

We have a title block that gets x-ref'd into every drawing (stages of the project.)

the thing is that we have maybe 3 or 4 types of projects, and it feels repetitive and a waste of time to go take a, similar project type, save as, change the name of the project, project number, and other specific details (in every sheet, which ranges from 15-35 sheets).

So my idea is shouldn't there be a way we can have files in lets say 3 different folders, and when we have a project that is (lets say) like type A, we open autocad and tell it to use type A files, and it prompts us to fill in (like a block) project number and name etc. And when I type in the project name it fills that in, in EVERy sheet where we have project name etc etc. This way we type in how many sheets, and few other prompts, then x'ref the file in that is the base file (all lines of a project) and then we only have to add labels to call out specific parts of a project.

I hope this makes some sence, but any help would be nice

thank you

There are a couple ways of doing this. One way is to create a template for each type of project that you have. You can then save each template with your standards for each project. Of course you would have to X-ref in your project but if you set up your network setting right this should not be an issue (until that one moron moves the file of the original drawing). Another way is to create a block out of your titleblock and create fields in to fill out like you want, then just insert the block into paper space. You will need to come up with a naming scheme if multiple users need the drawing to do their part. I assume you are experienced with AutoCAD so I clearly glossed over a lot of details but I think you get the idea. It takes a lot of work before hand to get your drawing environment right before it's efficient but once you put in the work it's worth it.

thanks for the response ski_me. I guess first things first, is your user name ski_me mean skiing in maine?

I'm preety new to autocad, in a work environment. But I have a really good co-worker who is willing and able to teach me allot, and I try and absorb as much as I can.

But yes, we have a title block that is x-ref'd into paper space. then there are blocks that prompt for the project name, engineer seal, page number etc. The only thing that does change is what that page is called. Like grading and drainage plan, scale, north arrow, and a couple other individual things to that one page.

We do keep the base file in a folder and your right some times I catch people not updating the source location of of referenced material. errrr... lol

Here's a more concrete example of (what I see as a waste of time). So lets say we have 25 pages, and the cover sheet says what each sheet is called, and what page number it is. And someone decides we need to add 1 sheet, and in lets say page 12's. I have to move every page up a number on the cover sheet, open every file up one-by-one, double click on the page number and change it, change the tab's name (paper space tabs), and also we have detail bubbles on certain sheets with the first page number that detail shows up in, and where the detailed top/side view is located. So as you can see, adding one page becomes a 1 hour venture, not to mention autocad crashes for me when I have more then one file open at a time...and we don't have two monitors yet...

So in a perfect world I would think there would be a way where I could change the page numbers on the cover, and autocad makes those changes where ever that number is. So if page 12 becomes page 13, i change it on the cover and then when I go to the 13th page the title block show page 13, the paper space tab is called "page 13" and if there are bubble callouts (small circular blocks with a name for the item, like "d-12" (for riprap at outfall of drainage pipe), and bellow that lets say a "5" and "13''. 5 being that the first page this detail is shown, and 13 for the page number where 100% all measurements shown in multiple angles)

any ideas how to make this seamless (like I envision)

Ok Yes and yes we are old style Title block in paperspace, I wont go into it but from other software we get a layout but with blank title block so need to fill in.

Basicly have say 6 lisp routines.

Day 1 fill in all details same sheet detials and number all existing sheets

Up date sheet numbers per page and total

Update rev

Create dwg index

Add revtable if missing

Issued for construction

Once you get the hang of using lisp to change "Title" Block you will soon add variations, there are many examples here. There are two methods using Attribute Tag name or Attribute creation position to update the attributes.

some examples

Dwgindex.lsp

GETVALS.lsp

Update sheet nums.lsp

Also have a look at www.Lee-mac.com has an excellent block update lisp.

Thank you very much. I'll look into those lisps more and see if we can do something with those.

I didn't know there were services for cad like lee-mac offers.

You might want to look into using sheetsets. I cant go into detail but sheetsets can help you organize you layouts and they update when the drawing is updated. You wont have to renumber your sheets everytime.