Selection box object snaps

billhmiller

I am having difficulty with the selection box not picking up any object snaps. The grid snap is off, object snaps are on and the object snap aperture in options is large enough to work. Also the Marker, Magnet nad Display Autosnap tooltip boxes are all checked in the drafting tab on the option box.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

I mean that when I mouse over objects that are active on the object snap settings the object snap indicators (such at the square for an endpoint) do not come up. When I activate other commands like the line command the do. I currently have all object snaps active

You have to be in a command, just like you describe with the line command. The osnap indicator won't show while just moving the cursor around over objects.

Right, but when you left click to start a selection box then hit w or c to select window or crossing polygon the object snaps should come up. At least it used to for me until my computer got refreshed.

It sounds like you are talking about GRIPS rather than osnaps. Type GRIPS at the command line and set to 2. Now try the crossing window on objects. Is that what you were after?

Actually GRIPS was already set to 2. The grips come up when I click on an object or select it with a selection box. I'm talking about the actual object snap indicators. I used to be able to start a selection window and once the window was active I could mouse over objects in the drawing and the object snap indicators would be active. Now it behaves as if the object snaps are deactivated, except they are not, as evidenced by the fact that if I use a line or circle etc. command the objects snaps respond.

Actually GRIPS was already set to 2. The grips come up when I click on an object or select it with a selection box. I'm talking about the actual object snap indicators. I used to be able to start a selection window and once the window was active I could mouse over objects in the drawing and the object snap indicators would be active. Now it behaves as if the object snaps are deactivated, except they are not, as evidenced by the fact that if I use a line or circle etc. command the objects snaps respond.
In all the years in using AutoCAD, I've never once seen or even heard of this behavior. Not saying your computer didn't do it, but I'm wondering if some third party is responsible, say a custom LISP routine or something similar was responsible for activating OSNAPS while a selection box was active. I cannot see why OSNAPS would even be relevant when selecting items.

As far as I know there were no custom lisp commands installed. I make bathymetric maps and I insert very dense sounding fields which usually extend outside of the area that I want to plot. I isolate the layer the soundings are on and left click to start a window, select c for crossing polygon and then using the object snaps to select a polygon along the objects defining the area I want plotted, then I complete the crossing polygon around the soundings outside of the plot area and delete them. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but I have used this method hundreds of times. (I also know laying things out in paper space and using viewports to eliminate soundings outside the plotting area is another solution, but I don't have time to re-do the base maps I am working with now.)

Out of curiosity, I attempted this. I was able to recreate this scenario in using OSNAPS while using the CPolygon selection option. All I did was hit the F3 key after I activated the CPolygon selection option, and all my OSNAPS were there while I was selecting the fencing region.

Have you tried hitting the F3 key? See if this helps.

-TZ

I doesn't seem to work, I can see the object snaps switching between on and off but while the OSNAPS are on the indicators don't come up.

While you're in the CPolygon selection and you hit the F3 key, type 'OSMODE (including the apostrophe). If it's set to 0, that's your problem. If not, then I'm at a loss from this point forward.

-TZ

That doesn't seem to work either. Oh well. I have been experimenting with other methods. I found a MAPTRIM command that does something very similar. The crossing polygon with object snaps was convenient while it lasted.

Thanks anyways for your help.

...type 'OSMODE.... If it's set to 0, that's your problem.

-TZ

Not necessarily. If the bitcode 16384 is set, then object snaps are disabled, but the object snaps that were set, are retained.

For example

If you only have ENDP enabled, bitcode 1 is set and if object snaps are enabled, OSMODE = 1.

If you press F3 to toggle object snaps off, then OSMODE = 16385 (16384 + 1)

In all the years in using AutoCAD, I've never once seen or even heard of this behavior.

It's always done this.

I cannot see why OSNAPS would even be relevant when selecting items.

In case you want your selection window (or whatever) to stop at an ENDP or INT or QUAD, etc.

Interesting... definitely a new one to me. I've never seen or heard of it up until today.

You're not alone on this. I cannot see using this either. Once I found out about selection cycling, I never had a need for more accurate selecting but I did learn something today.