Autonumbering Blocks

EB93

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create a grid. In doing so, I created a single block that I then used the Array command on in order to create the number of rows and columns necessary for my grid. I then exploded it so I had individual blocks in my grid, as opposed to the grid being one entity.

My question is: If I wanted to number each block in my grid according to a specific numbering system, is this possible to do without going in and changing the properties for each individual block myself? It is a rather large grid and that would take a VERY long time.

Thanks in advance

It might be helpful if you attached a copy of the drawing to your next post. One drawing is worth at least a dozen questions and a thousand words. Thanks.

Maybe you could make use of Lee Mac's custom lisp routine... Incremental Numbering Suite. Find it explained here...http://lee-mac.com/numinc.html

It makes sense to me to do a bit of searching for GRID.lsp pretty sure there will be one out there. If you can find one close then we can probably help to modify it to your needs.

eg label grid with bubbles hor A-z Ver 1-99

label grid world co-cords with a spacing of xxx

I've attached a drawing with a sample grid that I am working with to show you the kind of numbering system I'm working with. Each block has a number attribute assigned to it (But I've only filled out a couple). I want to be able to autonumber them following the numbering system I've started. The goal is to not have to go in and do them all myself!

I have no experience with LISP codes but have looked online to see if I could find any that may help and have had no luck so far.

Example_Grid.dwg

There are probably a couple ways to do this. Someone mentioned a lisp routine.

There are a couple DWG examples online that I came across but I don't like to link CAD blocks because it's not always 100% safe.

One of them is available in the Autodesk forums where a guy created a dynamic grid block that you stretch to create a grid. That one you can download but I didn't test it.

There was another one that you can download but you have to sign up to a cad block website (hate doing that).

Autodesk sells a plug-in app called "Block Matrix" for about 40 bucks/year that looks pretty cool.

The added benefit is that you can import/export data from excel. The app makes it a much smoother process.

If you go on youtube paste this in the search bar: BlockMatrix - Incrementing & Importing from Excel

The video gives you an idea of how it works.

Creating a grid within a grid like the one you are shooting for would be a little more complex but it could still be done.

I did notice that if you create an attribute definition in Autocad 2017 you have the option to add in formulas and/or lisp routines directly. So that might be one way to do it. But this definitely isn't something I've done before. I'm sure others here would have more knowledge about it.

Good luck!

-ChriS