Click to Replace and Increment Alphanumeric Text

wwakefield

First of all, thank you all for your generosity in helping out here; I've learned a lot from reading past posts and dissecting bits of code here. I've had several programming courses back in engineering (a decade ago, C, C++, Java, etc) but haven't really kept up with it. That being said, I'm teaching myself auto/visualLISP and trying to make my professional life a little easier.

Special thanks to Lee Mac, who's posts here and website has helped get me this far.

I'm trying to recreate a program I've seen before and have hit a snag. I want to be able to click an object that has text replace it with a value I input, then be able to click on another object's text, increment it, click/increment, etc.

I've made this work with mtext objects, but am stuck on how to expand that functionality to block attributes, or even a group of a text object and a few lines. I've seen this work previously independent of it being a single text object or a block attribute, but never looked at the code (kicking myself now, but nothing I can do about it)

Here's what I currently have that works with mtext. Questions:

• How do I modify this to work on any text object, whether it's in a group or a block attribute? (I realize this may be complicated/impossible?)
  • Are there better, more efficient ways to do what I'm doing?

;;; INC1.lsp [command name: INC1]
;;; Increments alphanumeric text.
;;; Wes Wakefield Dec 2016

(defun C:INC1 (/ flg flg2 txt temp)
 (if (not *pfix*)(setq *pfix* "N"));_Initalize *pfix* if nil
 (if (not *num*)(setq *num* "1000"));_Initalize *num* if nil

(setq temp (getstring (strcat "\nEnter Prefix<" *pfix* ">: ")))
 (if (/= temp "")(setq *pfix* temp))

(setq temp (getstring (strcat "\nEnter Starting Number<" *num* ">: ")))
 (if (/= temp "")(setq *num* temp))

(setq flg2 1)
 (while (= flg2 1);_Loop until user hits "ESC"
   (setq txt (entsel)
  flg 1)
   (while (= flg 1);_Loop if user click doesn't select object
     (if (= txt nil)
(setq txt (entsel));_Repeat selection if nil
(setq
  flg 0
  txt (car txt)
)
     )
   )
   (setq txt (vlax-ename->vla-object txt)) ;_Convert to object
   (vla-put-TextString txt (strcat *pfix* *num*)) ;_Replace text
   (setq *num*  (itoa (1+ (atoi *num*))));_Increment *num*
   )
 )
 (princ)
)

Also, if this has been covered somewhere, please feel free to point me in the right direction; I don't mind doing some research on my own. :-)

Firstly, welcome to CADTutor and thank you for your gratitude - I'm pleased that you found my contributions useful.

I have prepared the following commented version of your code which should point you in the right direction - I have tried not to veer too far from your original in terms of complexity so that you may follow the code without getting overwhelmed.

I think you were perhaps overthinking the loop with the use of flag variables and nested while loops - it suffices to check the return of the entsel/nentsel function:

[color=GREEN];; Define function & declare local variables (*prefix* & *number* are global)[/color]
([color=BLUE]defun[/color] c:inc2 ( [color=BLUE]/[/color] ent obj tmp )

[color=GREEN];; Initialise global variables to first-time defaults[/color]
   ([color=BLUE]if[/color] ([color=BLUE]null[/color] *prefix*)
       ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] *prefix* [color=MAROON]"N"[/color])
   )
   ([color=BLUE]if[/color] ([color=BLUE]null[/color] *number*)
       ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] *number* 1000) [color=GREEN];; Use a number here[/color]
   )

[color=GREEN];; If the user has entered a prefix (getstring returns an empty string on ENTER)[/color]
   ([color=BLUE]if[/color] ([color=BLUE]/=[/color] [color=MAROON]""[/color] ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] tmp ([color=BLUE]getstring[/color] [color=BLUE]t[/color] ([color=BLUE]strcat[/color] [color=MAROON]"\nEnter prefix <"[/color] *prefix* [color=MAROON]">: "[/color])))) [color=GREEN];; t to allow spaces[/color]
       ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] *prefix* tmp) [color=GREEN];; Redefine the global variable to use the new prefix[/color]
   )
   [color=GREEN];; If the user has entered a number (getint returns nil on ENTER)[/color]
   ([color=BLUE]if[/color] ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] tmp ([color=BLUE]getint[/color] ([color=BLUE]strcat[/color] [color=MAROON]"\nEnter starting number <"[/color] ([color=BLUE]itoa[/color] *number*) [color=MAROON]">: "[/color]))) [color=GREEN];; AutoLISP is dynamically typed, so can use same variable name[/color]
       ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] *number* tmp) [color=GREEN];; Redefine the global variable to use the new starting number[/color]
   )

[color=GREEN];; While the user is still selecting objects[/color]
   ([color=BLUE]while[/color] ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] ent ([color=BLUE]car[/color] ([color=BLUE]nentsel[/color]))) [color=GREEN];; nentsel to allow nested selection[/color]

[color=GREEN];; Convert the entity to a vla-object (not absolutely necessary, but we'll stick with ActiveX)[/color]
       ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] obj ([color=BLUE]vlax-ename->vla-object[/color] ent))

[color=GREEN];; If the selected object is Text, MText or an Attribute[/color]
       ([color=BLUE]if[/color] ([color=BLUE]wcmatch[/color] ([color=BLUE]vla-get-objectname[/color] obj) [color=MAROON]"AcDb*Text,AcDbAttribute"[/color])

[color=GREEN];; If the object is write-enabled[/color]
           ([color=BLUE]if[/color] ([color=BLUE]vlax-write-enabled-p[/color] obj)

[color=GREEN];; Evaluate the following expressions as part of a single progn expression (the 'then' argument)[/color]
               ([color=BLUE]progn[/color]
                   [color=GREEN];; Modify the ActiveX textstring property to a concatenation of the *prefix* and *number* converted to a string[/color]
                   ([color=BLUE]vla-put-textstring[/color] obj ([color=BLUE]strcat[/color] *prefix* ([color=BLUE]itoa[/color] *number*)))

[color=GREEN];; Increment *number*[/color]
                   ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] *number* ([color=BLUE]1+[/color] *number*))

) [color=GREEN];; end progn[/color]

[color=GREEN];; Inform the user of a write-protected object[/color]
               ([color=BLUE]princ[/color] [color=MAROON]"\nSelected object is on a locked layer."[/color])

) [color=GREEN];; end if[/color]

[color=GREEN];; Inform the user of an invalid object[/color]
           ([color=BLUE]princ[/color] [color=MAROON]"\nSelected object is not text, mtext or attribute."[/color])

) [color=GREEN];; end while[/color]

[color=GREEN];; Suppress the value returned by the last evaluated expression[/color]
   ([color=BLUE]princ[/color])

) [color=GREEN];; end defun

;; Load the ActiveX component of Visual LISP and suppress the value returned on load
[/color]([color="blue"]vl-load-com[/color]) ([color="blue"]princ[/color])

Of course, feel free to ask if you have any further questions about the above.

Lee

Wow, thanks for the quick replies! I'll play around with this tonight. Didn't know about nentsel; I feel so handicapped learning a new language, haha...

Update: works like a charm, with one exception. When I click a blank space (if I misclick when trying to select a block), the program terminates. This is what I was trying to originally solve with the flag in the while loop... Any better way to do that?

Update: works like a charm, with one exception. When I click a blank space (if I misclick when trying to select a block), the program terminates. This is what I was trying to originally solve with the flag in the while loop... Any better way to do that?

Consider the following -

[color=GREEN];; Define function & declare local variables (*prefix* & *number* are global)[/color]
([color=BLUE]defun[/color] c:inc3 ( [color=BLUE]/[/color] ent obj tmp )

[color=GREEN];; Initialise global variables to first-time defaults[/color]
   ([color=BLUE]if[/color] ([color=BLUE]null[/color] *prefix*)
       ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] *prefix* [color=MAROON]"N"[/color])
   )
   ([color=BLUE]if[/color] ([color=BLUE]null[/color] *number*)
       ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] *number* 1000) [color=GREEN];; Use a number here[/color]
   )

[color=GREEN];; If the user has entered a prefix (getstring returns an empty string on ENTER)[/color]
   ([color=BLUE]if[/color] ([color=BLUE]/=[/color] [color=MAROON]""[/color] ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] tmp ([color=BLUE]getstring[/color] [color=BLUE]t[/color] ([color=BLUE]strcat[/color] [color=MAROON]"\nEnter prefix <"[/color] *prefix* [color=MAROON]">: "[/color])))) [color=GREEN];; t to allow spaces[/color]
       ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] *prefix* tmp) [color=GREEN];; Redefine the global variable to use the new prefix[/color]
   )
   [color=GREEN];; If the user has entered a number (getint returns nil on ENTER)[/color]
   ([color=BLUE]if[/color] ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] tmp ([color=BLUE]getint[/color] ([color=BLUE]strcat[/color] [color=MAROON]"\nEnter starting number <"[/color] ([color=BLUE]itoa[/color] *number*) [color=MAROON]">: "[/color]))) [color=GREEN];; AutoLISP is dynamically typed, so can use same variable name[/color]
       ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] *number* tmp) [color=GREEN];; Redefine the global variable to use the new starting number[/color]
   )

[color=GREEN];; Reset the ERRNO system variable to 0 to clear any possible previous value[/color]
   ([color=BLUE]setvar[/color] 'errno 0)

[color=GREEN];; While the user is still selecting objects[/color]
   ([color=BLUE]while[/color]

([color=BLUE]or[/color] [color=GREEN];; While either of the following expressions is True[/color]

([color=BLUE]setq[/color] ent ([color=BLUE]car[/color] ([color=BLUE]nentsel[/color]))) [color=GREEN];; Either the user has selected an object (nentsel to allow nested selection)[/color]

([color=BLUE]=[/color] 7 ([color=BLUE]getvar[/color] 'errno)) [color=GREEN];; Or the ERRNO system variable = 7 (Missed Pick)[/color]

) [color=GREEN];; end or[/color]

[color=GREEN];; ERRNO system variable = 7 (Missed Pick)[/color]
       ([color=BLUE]if[/color] ([color=BLUE]=[/color] 7 ([color=BLUE]getvar[/color] 'errno))

[color=GREEN];; Inform the user[/color]
           ([color=BLUE]princ[/color] [color=MAROON]"\nMissed, try again."[/color])

[color=GREEN];; Else we have a selected entity[/color]

[color=GREEN];; Convert the entity to a vla-object (not absolutely necessary, but we'll stick with ActiveX)[/color]
               ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] obj ([color=BLUE]vlax-ename->vla-object[/color] ent))

[color=GREEN];; If the selected object is Text, MText or an Attribute[/color]
               ([color=BLUE]if[/color] ([color=BLUE]wcmatch[/color] ([color=BLUE]vla-get-objectname[/color] obj) [color=MAROON]"AcDb*Text,AcDbAttribute"[/color])

[color=GREEN];; If the object is write-enabled[/color]
                   ([color=BLUE]if[/color] ([color=BLUE]vlax-write-enabled-p[/color] obj)

[color=GREEN];; Evaluate the following expressions as part of a single progn expression (the 'then' argument)[/color]
                           [color=GREEN];; Modify the ActiveX textstring property to a concatenation of the *prefix* and *number* converted to a string[/color]
                           ([color=BLUE]vla-put-textstring[/color] obj ([color=BLUE]strcat[/color] *prefix* ([color=BLUE]itoa[/color] *number*)))

[color=GREEN];; Increment *number*[/color]
                           ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] *number* ([color=BLUE]1+[/color] *number*))

[color=GREEN];; Inform the user of a write-protected object[/color]
                       ([color=BLUE]princ[/color] [color=MAROON]"\nSelected object is on a locked layer."[/color])

[color=GREEN];; Inform the user of an invalid object[/color]
                   ([color=BLUE]princ[/color] [color=MAROON]"\nSelected object is not text, mtext or attribute."[/color])

[color=GREEN];; Reset the ERRNO system variable to 0 to clear any possible previous value[/color]
       ([color=BLUE]setvar[/color] 'errno 0)

) [color=GREEN];; end while[/color]

[color=GREEN];; Suppress the value returned by the last evaluated expression[/color]
   ([color=BLUE]princ[/color])

) [color=GREEN];; end defun[/color]

[color=GREEN];; Load the ActiveX component of Visual LISP and suppress the value returned on load[/color]
([color=BLUE]vl-load-com[/color]) ([color=BLUE]princ[/color])