Trim 2021 like <2020

OMEGA-ThundeR

Hi,

Much has been said about the new way the Trim / Extend command works.  i want it to work like 2020 and before.

i used to only use the trim (TR) command to trim and extend.  The problem i'm having now is that when i enter TRIM i need to press the spacebar/enter instead of using the right mouse button.
In 2021 it shows an context menu, in <2020 it was the same as an enter.

Anyway i can make the right mouse button be used as an enter again?

Steps i did in <2020:  <TR> -> Right click -> do my thing
Now i have to do in 2021: <TR> -> Enter/spacebar -> do my thing.

Trimextrendmode is set to 0

Edited by OMEGA-ThundeR

Options, User Preferences, Right Click Customization, put a check mark in the upper left box 'turn on time-sensitive right-click.

Also look into the system variables added in 2021 so with trim or extend you won't have to use the RMB or hit enter.

• Thanks 4

its not about not having to use the RMB, the change is so great that it makes no sense.  Never had the need to use trim as it is used since 2021.
And without an Enter (/ RMB) it doesn't work like i need it to work (and that is as before 2021).

Putting a checkmark there fixed my issue, however i wonder what other commands will be affected by this, the checkbox is also blank in <2020. 
Shouldn't be a problem for me i guess, i never used any context menu's in AutoCAD.

I have always used Right Click Customization, love it.

Set the options how you want them, including the duration of the Long Click which is defaulted to 250ms, but may or may not be what works best for your own personal style and flow.

• Thanks 1

You can put the following little line of code in your ACADDOC.LSP file.

(DEFUN C:TR ()  (SETVAR "CMDECHO" 1)(COMMAND ".TRIM" "O" "Q" "")(PRIN1)) ;set trim mode to quick

This will overwrite the acad.pgp and use this instead.  I tried it here and works well and I think the way you want. 

TR <enter> use crossing window to trim.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, rkent said:

You can put the following little line of code in your ACADDOC.LSP file.

(DEFUN C:TR ()  (SETVAR "CMDECHO" 1)(COMMAND ".TRIM" "O" "Q" "")(PRIN1)) ;set trim mode to quick

This will overwrite the acad.pgp and use this instead.  I tried it here and works well and I think the way you want. 

TR <enter> use crossing window to trim.

"TR <enter>", but what kind of 'enter' ,  using the keyboard is a no go where the mouse used to do.

Just setting the mode to 'quick' does not cut it.  Clicking the right mouse button shows a context menu in the trim (and extend??) command, where it's just an <enter> in 2020 and before.

What am I missing here, in previous versions pressing <enter> or the right mouse button put you in the selectall mode so you could then start clicking just the segments of any objects to trim them. The new 2021 behaviour is just to remove the need to press <enter> (RMB) and is automatically in the selectall mode, it sounds as though you just want to add back in that extra click because of 'muscle memory' ?

3 hours ago, steven-g said:

What am I missing here, in previous versions pressing <enter> or the right mouse button put you in the selectall mode so you could then start clicking just the segments of any objects to trim them. The new 2021 behaviour is just to remove the need to press <enter> (RMB) and is automatically in the selectall mode, it sounds as though you just want to add back in that extra click because of 'muscle memory' ?

In the old way you could select the line you want to trim to first.  If it's not the first line but an object further down the 'line' it won't let me do that.  i have to set the mode to standaard.
When set to the standard mode you can't trim 'freely' without selecting an object to trim to.  I press the 'enter' (RMB) to do that, but in 2021 it shows an context menu.
Unless i can reach the same functionality as before i don't think muscle memory is the issue.  Although i have been doing it like this for years :P.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/e9a6d2f4-956b-4025-985e-1f74e623cf2f

Edited by OMEGA-ThundeR

But in 2021 if you select a line first and then start the trim command, it will let you trim to just that line.

If you start the command first, then you either press 't' which then allows you to select a line(s) to trim too or RMB and select the third option 'cuTting edges'

7 hours ago, OMEGA-ThundeR said:

"TR <enter>", but what kind of 'enter' ,  using the keyboard is a no go where the mouse used to do.

Just setting the mode to 'quick' does not cut it.  Clicking the right mouse button shows a context menu in the trim (and extend??) command, where it's just an <enter> in 2020 and before.

Any command requires you to hit enter to start it.

2020 and prior - TRim, enter, pick to start a crossing window

2021 - TRim, enter, pick to start a crossing fence

In my mind the fence is the same as crossing.

But, you want TR for a quick key, but you still have to hit enter after typing TR,

TR, enter, start picking.

By setting the Quick mode in the code I posted you will get the crossing window, or at least I do here in my testing.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, steven-g said:

But in 2021 if you select a line first and then start the trim command, it will let you trim to just that line.

If you start the command first, then you either press 't' which then allows you to select a line(s) to trim too or RMB and select the third option 'cuTting edges'

Yes, I agree with you, it was no big deal to hit enter twice in the previous versions.  So little effort to do, but Autodesk has to give subscribers something each release and I think the change to trim is the absolute least they could do.

But the poster wanted to eliminate the second enter, saving precious nanoseconds so the code will take care of that.  Any maybe the TRIMEXTENDMODE sysvar is all they need.

• Thanks 2

Hitting the fysical <enter>  key on the keyboard (space or enter) is relatively more work than just pressing the right mouse button.  My hand is allready there.

Starting a command with an <enter>  is not the problem, i'm allready typing it so my (left) hand is on the keyboard.

When trimming freely, without selecting a line to trim or extend to used to work while (in Standard mode) just starting the TRIM command and giving an <enter>  again.  Using the RMB at that moment is a tiny bit faster then using the keyboard.

Using the RMD at that moment shows a context menu in 2021.
1002958788_rmbmenu.jpg.17aabd0be9ed6f127058d379ab39aafb.jpg

Using the formentioned setting in the 'Right click customization'  under 'options'  fixes that issue so i can use the RMB instead of pressing the <enter>  on the keyboard.

One of the big reasons I am such a longtime fan of Time Sensitive Right Click is that I hate taking my hand off the mouse.

The more things I can do with my right hand staying on the mouse, the happier I am.

Almost all of my custom shortcalls, or aliases are entered by my left hand, with a minimum of movement from my default hand rest position.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dadgad said:

One of the big reasons I am such a longtime fan of Time Sensitive Right Click is that I hate taking my hand off the mouse.

The more things I can do with my right hand staying on the mouse, the happier I am.

Almost all of my custom shortcalls, or aliases are entered by my left hand, with a minimum of movement from my default hand rest position.

I've added more right-click Shortcut Menus to my CUI that AutoCAD installed. Almost every object modification command I use is from a right-click with my mouse.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tombu said:

I've added more right-click Shortcut Menus to my CUI that AutoCAD installed. Almost every object modification command I use is from a right-click with my mouse.

Good thinking, I bet that saves you plenty of time!   :beer:

• 5 months later...

I came here looking for a way to 'fix' 2021 changes to TRIM and EXTEND back to how they were in 2020 and before and setting TRIMEXTENDMODE to 0 instead of 1 worked for me. So much faster being able to select a line to extend or trim to instead of having to click on the line you wish to modify several times as just about all the time there are other lines crossing each other in my drawings that are not the intended target.

On 5/26/2020 at 11:19 AM, OMEGA-ThundeR said:

Hi,

Much has been said about the new way the Trim / Extend command works.  i want it to work like 2020 and before.

i used to only use the trim (TR) command to trim and extend.  The problem i'm having now is that when i enter TRIM i need to press the spacebar/enter instead of using the right mouse button.
In 2021 it shows an context menu, in <2020 it was the same as an enter.

Anyway i can make the right mouse button be used as an enter again?

Steps i did in <2020:  <TR> -> Right click -> do my thing
Now i have to do in 2021: <TR> -> Enter/spacebar -> do my thing.

Trimextrendmode is set to 0

With the default TRIMEXTENDMODE set to 1 simply select the lines you want to use for the trimming before starting the command, then pick whatever you want them to trim after starting the command. That's always been the quickest way to use TRIM as you don't need the extra Enter to finish selecting the lines for trimming.

Enhancements like dragging the left-click to select and automatically switching to a single fence line if you pick doesn't select an object have cut trimming time in half.

Of course if you still want the TRIM command gives the option to switch TRIMEXTENDMODE by clicking "mOde" in the command line or just entering "O".