Clear out ZIP files

danellis

I've been asked to clear out ZIP files from our system.  We keep a digital record of everything that we send out in dated folder.

Sometimes these will be collected together into a ZIP to send and I've been asked to remove these ZIPs.  Sometimes the actual files are deleted after doing this, or (generally when it's an eTransmit) the original file is a ZIP; in these instances I obviously need to retain the ZIP file.

So far, I've been doing this by going into each Issued folder manually and checking for appropriate (or rather inappropriate!) ZIP folders, but my boss thinks should be a quicker way of doing this.  I don't think a simple search for ZIP files will save much time (if any) because it would just tell me that I need to check 75% of the folders to see if there's anything other than a ZIP in there.

Can anyone suggest anything?

dJE

Wouldn't this be more of a Windows Explorer issue? I used to do these sort of things through the Command Prompt.

I am not really sure from your description what exactly determines if something needs deleted or not?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SLW210 said:

Wouldn't this be more of a Windows Explorer issue? I used to do these sort of things through the Command Prompt.

I am not really sure from your description what exactly determines if something needs deleted or not?

Thanks both

I thought this was just the closest sub-forum to what I want and hoped someone here would be able to help.

Basically files that have had their contents extracted need to be deleted; those that haven't don't.

dJE

2 hours ago, danellis said:

.....Basically files that have had their contents extracted need to be deleted; those that haven't don't......

I thought that zip files remained unaltered whether the contents have been extracted or not, so how do you decide what needs to be deleted?

• Like 1

Perhaps all your e-transmit files contain a plot style table. That would allow you to identify all e-transmit zip files, but it would not indicate whether they have been unzipped at all.

Would the extracted files be in a folder with the same name as the ZIP files? If so that should be a simple check. I'll have more time tomorrow to look into.

Just a mention how many zips on a drive, get a list

Down left in WINDOWS

CMD

dir *.zip /s /b >zipdir.txt

Open the file zipdir.txt it will be in the current directory

You can start at a different level using cd\directory old fashioned dos.

CD \Myprojects\fredsprojects

dir *.zip /s /b >c:\Myprojects\zipdir.txt

Edited by BIGAL