Double-clicking a DWG file opens a new instance of AutoCAD

rock1

I am using AutoCAD 2017. I have windows 10-64 bit.

When I double click a new dwg file, it opens up another instance of AutoCAD.

I checked my SDI (Single Document Interface) system variable which was already set to 0 by default.

I've also set the option "Run as administrator" in the compatibility tab of following files

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2017\acad.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\AcShellEx\AcLauncher.exe

What should I do to fix this issue?

Why not just open it from Autocad?

Obviously that's an undesirable alternative. I prefer the large screen view of windows folders and easy navigation...

Obviously that's an undesirable alternative. I prefer the large screen view of windows folders and easy navigation...

A man tells his doctor, "it hurts when I do this."

The doctor says, "stop doing it." :beer:

No offense intended.

I am running Windows 8.1, and Autocad 2013, and the same thing happens, if I do that.

This info won't be new to you, but did you also try it?

Reset AutoCAD to defaults (see How to reset AutoCAD to defaults).

1. Install (or uninstall and reinstall) the same version of DWG TrueView that matches your copy of AutoCAD (see Where to download previous versions of DWG TrueView). TrueView installs the same file types that AutoCAD uses. Be sure to right-click the install file and choose "Run as administrator" to start the installation. It has been reported that sometimes uninstalling DWG TrueView (after installing it) can resolve the trouble.

Edited by Dadgad

I've installed 2017 after wiping away every Autodesk product using control panel and manually deleting every residual program file+registry entry. I don't think a reset will solve the problem. I'll go the true view way. :). Thanks for the answer.

When you open a drawing (or any file, for that matter) by double-clicking, you're going through the operating system, not the application that created it. Sometimes you get the behavior you expect, but as you've found out, sometimes you don't. There are other potential side-effects, too, which is why I always open drawings from within AutoCAD.

"Listen to the doctor." --The Doobie Brothers

The statement and the supporting arguments are suspect at best.

Opening a drawing from within AutoCAD is the recommended method. AutoCAD can be directed to the correct folder where working drawings are stored simply by adding the path to the folder via the Options > File and Folders feature. Additionally, the Select File dialog window within AutoCAD can be easily resized and the view that one sees can be altered the exact same way as it can be for Windows Explorer using the Views feature.

And the line "Listen to the doctor" came from the hit song "The Doctor" by the Doobie Brothers. Not to be confused with "Listen to the Music" by the same group.

... the line "Listen to the doctor" came from the hit song "The Doctor" by the Doobie Brothers. Not to be confused with "Listen to the Music" by the same group.

I was alluding to Dadgad's joke. Those two songs are about 20 years and a breakup apart, I didn't think anyone would confuse them. Nice to see a fellow doobfan on the forum.

I've installed 2017 after wiping away every Autodesk product using control panel and manually deleting every residual program file+registry entry. I don't think a reset will solve the problem. I'll go the true view way. :). Thanks for the answer.

I noticed in your other thread, that installing TrueView 2017 had messed you up again, so I would consider the following...

It has been reported that sometimes uninstalling DWG TrueView (after installing it) can resolve the trouble.

Last but not least, it has also been widely reported, that opening in Autocad ALWAYS avoids the problem. :|

Edited by Dadgad

Here is another thing to try-

Go to your folder with the .dwg file.

- Right Click the File

- Hold the your pointer on "Open With"

- When that pop-up opens select "Choose another APP"

- When that window opens apply a check to the box "Always use this APP to open .dwg files" and then select the app, hopefully it is already listed in the window.

Good Luck