Change Tag names in attributed block

77shawn

I have a drawing that was exported from Inventor, and now the Tag names in the attributed title block all have an extra "_001" added to them. I can edit them in AutoCAD useing the Block Attribute Manager", but I have hundreds up files to edit. Has anyone had this problem, or know any way to write a script to change these. The block has 47 Tags (not the vaules) that need to be edited.

I posted this to the Autodesk discussion group long ago, but now it's finally come up again and I need to fix this.

Below is a screen shot, basicly I need the Tag to be the same as the Prompt if that helps. Don't know what easier, strip the "_001" off the Tag names, or have it just match all Tag names to the Prompt names.

Any help would be great!!!

Thanks!!

HEAD-090208.jpg

I normally wait and hope Lee or one of the other LISP gurus passes through or a mod comes by and moves it to that forum. I'll see if a mod is around.....

I'd try something like this:

[b][color=BLACK]([/color][/b]defun rt_rstr [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]fst old new / tmp p[b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]
[b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]and [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]= [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]type fst[b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b] 'STR[b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b]
     [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]= [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]type old[b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b] 'STR[b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b]
     [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]= [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]type new[b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b] 'STR[b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b]
     [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]setq p 1[b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b]
     [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]repeat [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]strlen fst[b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b]
             [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]if [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]= old [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]substr fst p [b][color=RED]([/color][/b]strlen old[b][color=RED])[/color][/b][b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                 [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]setq tmp [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]strcat [b][color=RED]([/color][/b]substr fst 1 [b][color=PURPLE]([/color][/b]1- p[b][color=PURPLE])[/color][/b][b][color=RED])[/color][/b]
                                   new
                                   [b][color=RED]([/color][/b]substr fst [b][color=PURPLE]([/color][/b]+ p [b][color=TEAL]([/color][/b]strlen old[b][color=TEAL])[/color][/b][b][color=PURPLE])[/color][/b][b][color=RED])[/color][/b][b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b]
             [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]setq p [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]1+ p[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b][b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b][b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]
 [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]if tmp tmp fst[b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b][b][color=BLACK])[/color][/b]

[b][color=BLACK]([/color][/b]defun c:retag [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]/ bad i ss en an ad at nt[b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]

[b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]setq bad [color=#2f4f4f]"_001"[/color][b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]  [color=#8b4513];;;CASE SENSITIVE[/color]

[b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]and [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]setq i -1
           ss [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]ssget '[b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]0 . [color=#2f4f4f]"INSERT"[/color][b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]66 . 1[b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b][b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b]
      [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]while [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]setq en [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]ssname ss [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]setq i [b][color=RED]([/color][/b]1+ i[b][color=RED])[/color][/b][b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b]
             [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]setq an [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]entnext en[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b]
             [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]while [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]= [color=#2f4f4f]"ATTRIB"[/color] [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]cdr [b][color=RED]([/color][/b]assoc 0 [b][color=PURPLE]([/color][/b]entget an[b][color=PURPLE])[/color][/b][b][color=RED])[/color][/b][b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                    [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]setq ad [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]entget an[b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b]
                          at [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]cdr [b][color=RED]([/color][/b]assoc 2 ad[b][color=RED])[/color][/b][b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b]
                          an [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]entnext an[b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                    [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]and [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]wcmatch at [b][color=RED]([/color][/b]strcat [color=#2f4f4f]"*"[/color] bad [color=#2f4f4f]"*"[/color][b][color=RED])[/color][/b][b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                         [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]setq nt [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]rt_rstr at bad [color=#2f4f4f]""[/color][b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                         [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]entmod [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]subst [b][color=RED]([/color][/b]cons 2 nt[b][color=RED])[/color][/b] [b][color=RED]([/color][/b]assoc 2 ad[b][color=RED])[/color][/b] ad[b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b][b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b][b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]

[b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]command [color=#2f4f4f]"_.REGENALL"[/color][b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]
 [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]prin1[b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b][b][color=BLACK])[/color][/b]

It doesn't change the BLOCK table definition but does change the INSERT ATTRIB data. -David

I wrote this a while back, not sure if it helps also, will make the TagString the same as the PromptString.

(defun c:attupd (/ ss sel doc lst tag)
 (vl-load-com)

(if (setq ss (ssget "_X" '((0 . "INSERT") (66 . 1))))
   (progn
     (vlax-for Obj (setq sel (vla-get-ActiveSelectionSet
                               (setq doc (vla-get-ActiveDocument
                                           (vlax-get-acad-object)))))
       (vlax-for Sub (vla-item
                       (vla-get-Blocks doc)
                         (vla-get-Name Obj))

(if (eq "AcDbAttributeDefinition"
               (vla-get-ObjectName Sub))
           (setq lst
             (cons
               (cons
                 (vla-get-TagString Sub)
                   (vl-list->string
                     (subst 95 32
                       (vl-string->list
                         (vla-get-PromptString Sub))))) lst))))

(foreach att (vlax-invoke Obj 'GetAttributes)
         (if (setq tag (assoc (vla-get-TagString att) lst))
           (vla-put-TagString att (cdr tag))))

(setq lst nil))

(vla-delete sel))

(princ "\n** No Attributed Blocks Found **"))
 (princ))

Sweet!! I've been looking for this for two years!

I used Lee Mac's code.

I can't believe my eyes, but it worked!!!! Thanks so much!!

I wish I had found this site sooner.

Thanks again.

• 4 months later...

If you ever want to change the tag names (not the values) for attributed blocks, you can use the following, creating a list of old & new tag names.

(defun c:attr_rename_list (  / x_en enn edd ss slen ix atnam 
          namelist hit blk_ent
          matchname newed x) 
 ; Process all block instances on active drawing. Check each 
 ; attribute for match on first element in list below. On any
 ; match, rename the attribute to the new name given in the
 ; second element. 

; ***********   ATTRIBUTE OLD versus NEW names list   ******************
 (setq namelist (list
     ; list old name and new name. Old name can contain wild cards.
     (list "OLD_TAG_NAME#1" "NEW_TAG_NAME#1")  ; list old name and new name. 
     (list "OLD_TAG_NAME#2" "NEW_TAG_NAME#2")
     (list "OLD_TAG_NAME#3" "NEW_TAG_NAME#3")
     (list "OLD_TAG_NAME#4" "NEW_TAG_NAME#4")
     (list "OLD_TAG_NAME#5" "NEW_TAG_NAME#5")
 ) )  
 ; **********************************************************************

; Extract selection set of all block inserts on active drawing  
 (setq ss (ssget "_X" '((0 . "INSERT"))))
 (if (/= ss nil)
   (progn
     (setq slen (sslength ss))
     (setq ix 0)
     (while (< ix slen)
       (setq blk_ent (ssname ss ix)) ; get next block insert to process        
       (setq ix (1+ ix)) ; increment for next time
       (setq enn (entnext blk_ent)) 
       (setq edd (entget enn))  
       (while (AND enn (/= (cdr (assoc 0 edd)) "SEQEND") 
                           (/= (cdr (assoc 0 edd)) "INSERT") )
         (if (= (cdr (assoc 0 edd)) "ATTRIB")
           (progn
             (setq atnam (cdr (assoc 2 edd)))
             (setq hit nil)
             (foreach x namelist
               (if (not hit)
                 (progn ; no match yet, keep processing
                   (setq matchname (car x))                
                   (if (wcmatch atnam matchname) 
                     (progn ; found exact match or wild-card match
                       ; Change name now. Substitute in new name.
                       (setq newed (subst (cons 2 (cadr x)) (assoc 2 edd) edd)) 
                       (entmod newed) ; update the title block instance
                       (entupd blk_ent) 
                       (princ "\n")
                       (princ atnam)
                       (princ " --> ")
                       (princ (cadr x))
                       (setq hit 1) ; flag that found
               ) ) ) )
             )
           )
         )     
         ; go to next sub ent in block instance and loop back up
         (if (setq enn (entnext enn)) (setq edd (entget enn))) 
     ) ) 
     (setq ss nil) ; release the selection set
   )
 )
 (princ) ; prettier
)

• 2 years later...

I posted this in another thread, although i dont know if that was the correct place.

anyways, does anyone know of a lisp that will change multiple and different blocks at once. i have tried the GATTE command, but will only let me select one block at a time. I have a drawing full of furniture with various text attribute tags on them and i want to change them all to blank.

• 4 years later...

Lee,

I've tried to make this work for the last 4 hours. I want to use this code to analyze a file full of blocks, look for an attribute definition with a certain prompt, change the prompt, and make the attribute position locked.

I've had no joy in doing this, any suggestions?

I wrote this a while back, not sure if it helps also, will make the TagString the same as the PromptString.

(defun c:attupd (/ ss sel doc lst tag)
 (vl-load-com)

(if (setq ss (ssget "_X" '((0 . "INSERT") (66 . 1))))
   (progn
     (vlax-for Obj (setq sel (vla-get-ActiveSelectionSet
                               (setq doc (vla-get-ActiveDocument
                                           (vlax-get-acad-object)))))
       (vlax-for Sub (vla-item
                       (vla-get-Blocks doc)
                         (vla-get-Name Obj))

(if (eq "AcDbAttributeDefinition"
               (vla-get-ObjectName Sub))
           (setq lst
             (cons
               (cons
                 (vla-get-TagString Sub)
                   (vl-list->string
                     (subst 95 32
                       (vl-string->list
                         (vla-get-PromptString Sub))))) lst))))

(foreach att (vlax-invoke Obj 'GetAttributes)
         (if (setq tag (assoc (vla-get-TagString att) lst))
           (vla-put-TagString att (cdr tag))))

(setq lst nil))

(vla-delete sel))

(princ "\n** No Attributed Blocks Found **"))
 (princ))

I want to use this code to analyze a file full of blocks, look for an attribute definition with a certain prompt, change the prompt, and make the attribute position locked.

Consider the following code, changing the highlighted variable values as appropriate:

(defun c:fixprompt ( / new old )
   (setq old [color=red]"Old Prompt"[/color]
         new [color=red]"New Prompt"[/color]
   )
   (vlax-for blk (vla-get-blocks (vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object)))
       (if (= :vlax-false (vla-get-isxref blk) (vla-get-islayout blk))
           (vlax-for obj blk
               (if
                   (and
                       (= "AcDbAttributeDefinition" (vla-get-objectname obj))
                       (= (strcase old) (strcase (vla-get-promptstring obj)))
                       (vlax-write-enabled-p obj)
                   )
                   (progn
                       (vla-put-promptstring obj new)
                       (vla-put-lockposition obj :vlax-true)
                   )
               )
           )
       )
   )
   (princ)
)
(vl-load-com) (princ)

Note that you will need to use ATTSYNC to apply the Locked Position property to all references of the attribute in the drawing.