3d spanish tile roof

kkleinchester

I just got myself in a world of hurt. I have a client that is requiring me to make an 80x120 hipped free span horse-riding arena w/ life like rendering. I have designed the structure but the client wants to see Spanish tile on the roof. I have used 3d solids for the entire structure. My question is there a way to place a 3d tile roof on my model simply or do I have to copy and paste tile I made over the entire thing? Anything better than messing with 2 million some tiles. :cry:

Thanks for all your help/

:ouch: Ugh, that's the worst type of roof to have to deal with in 3D. You could try using a texture with a bump map, but that just never looks very good in my opinion. The only way to really do it right is to model it. I would suggest doing like a 10x10 section of the tiles, make a block of that section and then copy and paste it around to complete the roof.

I would model a single tile first than use combination's of "copy" "rotate" and "array" to get the roof laid out. You can overlap and slice for the corners.

Good Luck

KC

thanks,

Thats what I did. after I had 1.4million tiles my computer started crapping out. I think I have to create 3 tile tall bay to bay section solid to reduce file size. The file was over 72mb.

appreciate the help.

Yes, that's why I suggested making a block of a 10x10 section of the roof and then copy and paste. You don't want individual tiles. That will kill your performance.